Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

"P (!) Brake" light problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 12:56 PM
Starting Member
yarinzim is on a distinguished road
Default "P (!) Brake" light problem

hello, i have a 90' k5. about a year ago i had some brakes problem . in the process of fixig that problem i removed the "Early ABS system" aka "Standard Rear Wheel Anti-Lcok Breaking System".
it turned out that the problem was something else but i decided to keep the system i removed out. now the light on the dash was always on because i disconnected the sensor from the system.
about two days ago this light started to flicker and it haven't stopped since. so the questions are:
1. can i disconnect the system module that is now sitting useless?

2. is there anything else that the light is connected to?

3. does the flickering means something? because it's not a rendom flickering, it's got a pattern.

thanks in advance, yarin.

Old 03-11-2010, 01:17 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Does the light come on if you set your parking brake? Could your parking brake be a little loose, triggering the light?

Old 03-12-2010, 09:57 AM
Starting Member

this is 100% not related to the parking brake. i disconnected the module that sits near the anti-lock breaking system and the flickering disappeared.
since i already drive without the anti-lock breaking system for a while, my logic tells me that this module I've disconnected is responsible for this system only.
now, i wish to continue to drive without the module, can anyone tell me if the module controls something else that I'm not aware of?

by the way, I've heard that in Jeep CJ's and such, lights like mine flicker in a certain way in order to alert of a problem, and it's flicker differently when it wants to alert a different type of problem.
so I'm curious if this alerting method exists in K5's?

Yarin.

Old 03-15-2010, 11:31 PM
Starting Member

anyone? any idea? i've been driving like this for a few days now.

Old 03-16-2010, 07:02 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Take the bulb out. You've already gutted the rest of the system... Weird things happen when you strip out parts.

Old 03-16-2010, 10:27 AM
Starting Member

no, see - the light is off now after i removed the system.
i just want to know what else connects to this system?