Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

PROBLEM WITH SLIPPING OUT OF GEAR

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 11:39 AM
14Blazer88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default PROBLEM WITH SLIPPING OUT OF GEAR

My 88 K5 is slipping out of gear. About 4-6 years ago we have the transmission rebuilt with some sort of heavy duty kit! It is now slipping out of gear when driving and I will have to turn it off and put it back into gear to drive it home! Any help would be greatI was thinking maybe it was the transfer case?

Old 02-06-2009, 12:25 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: PROBLEM WITH SLIPPING OUT OF GEAR

Not a whole lot of description there... I am assuming that this is an automatic which would mean that it is the 700R4 transmission. Restarting the engine should have no impact on it as it is a non-electrical control.

So now when you say slipping out of gear, when does it do this? 5 minutes after you start it up cold? Does it do it on warm days as well as on cold days? Does it do it only in one particular gear? At any particular speed? Depend on whether you are going up hill or down?

Is the throttle valve cable adjusted properly?

Old 02-06-2009, 12:48 PM

Well I'm actually buy this blazer back from one of my buddies so I don't know all the details! All he told me was he was going around 40 one day on his way home from work it went into nuetral! Then he had to mess with it and try and get it back into gear! It is an automatic! All I know is what he told me! He is going to sell it to me for 3K! Do you think that would be a good deal, the whole ac system was replaced, rebuilt driveshaft,all new tires?Sorry for so much questions it was my fathers old Blazer and I wanted to buy it back andkeep it in the family!

Old 02-06-2009, 06:49 PM

Help please!!!!

Old 02-06-2009, 07:24 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Randall, please have patience. Nobody here is paid to provide answers and you need to wait until somebody feels that they may have a helpful idea. I understand your frustration, but please do not do back-to-back posts in less than 24 hours.

Old 02-06-2009, 07:39 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Do you realize how difficult it is to diagnose an issue over a forum when people have the vehicle and can accurately describe the symptoms? Now try to do it with the person requesting the help in the blind... It is near impossible. It could be something physically wrong inside the transmission (there are many things inside an automatic transmission) or the TV cable or the actual linkage out of adjustment. It is just too difficult to say without some more input from you.

Old 02-12-2009, 10:03 AM

swartlkk

Ok I am assuming it slips out of gear when it is warmed up because its a long drive home from work, I live in AZ so pretty much any day here is warm doesn't get below 50 usually, It does it around 40 so I am assuming that's 2nd gear, it was slipping on city streets so not going down hill or up hill. I have no idea if the throttle valve cable is adjusted properly.

Old 02-12-2009, 01:13 PM
Administrator

Did you happen to click on the link in my first response? It shows you how to adjust the TV cable.