Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

replacing driver side door

Old 01-07-2007, 03:03 AM
Starting Member
woodsballr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default replacing driver side door

i am currently replacing my driver side door since i did a number on it a while back and have to get it inspected, plus i got tired of climbung over thru passenger side. didnt want to open door for fear of not being able to close it. crunched the sheet metal good. turns out it would open and close, catch is it would open about 2 inches, i'm small but i aint that small. hinge pins were a pain. anyways the junk yard sold me a door they said would fit for $100. not sure about the year but it came off a blazer. it was electric, mine was manual so i tore out the wires and what was left of the old stuff. anyways i finally got mine off and i found out that the arm rest brackets are in different places so i get to make new holes.yippee (sarcasm). before i deal with that problem i have to get the window transfered. how? i also need weather stripping and that felt feeling stuff(dont know what its called) can i take that off the old one? also it runs all the way down the track, how do i put it in?
if anyone knows how to do any of this PLEASE HELP!! i have school on monday.

Old 01-07-2007, 03:43 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: replacing driver side door

Oh boy, ain't you got fun.
I know it's to late now and probably a silly question, but why wouldn't you put on a door of the same year with the same options?
Because it's a '91 I don't have a manual for that I can only give you an opinion.
Lower the glass all the way.
Push the window forward until the roller lines up with a notch in the sash channel and lift the roller out of the channel.
You might need to remve a couple of bolts from the run channels (front and rear) to allow the window to move forward.enough to line up the roller.
Tilt the window and push it forward to get the rear roller out of the channel and lift the window out of the door.
Now you can remove the mouting bolts for the regulator and remove the regulator thru the lower part of the door.
Lube the rollers and the channel before you re-install it.

The weatherstrip should just pull out of the old door.
The felt stuff, (inner and outer belt mouldings) should just pop out of the doors also and they are re-usable

Have a nice day at school, hope this helps

Old 01-07-2007, 03:55 AM
Starting Member

well see i'd been to 2 junkyards in 1 week and couldnt find anything(i'm lazy dont judge me ) so i went to a body shop, the guy that owned it said to try one place i'd already been to and another place. i went to the second place and they said yea we got 'em what make, model, year, color, manual or electric, and side. i said chevy S-10 Blazer, '91, white, manual, driver side. they said yea we got one for $100. i went back the next week with my dad who was paying for it. when i went out with the guy to get it i noticed it was electric but figured they knew what they were talking about so no biggy. got it home said i'm waitin till the weekend to do this so i got time. glad i did.
anyways thanks a whole lot. if it dont work i'll be back.

Old 01-07-2007, 03:00 PM
Starting Member

ok i've got the window free in the track and it moves freely but i cant get it out. i'm not sure about what the roller is, and the sash channel. i got a couple pics so if you can see anything let me know.

[IMG]local://upfiles/4996/71BE00B0ADA141FE9BB74CBEBD6CF1E0.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/4996/28B5AF00ED1849B99EE187D2FD60CA8C.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-07-2007, 04:21 PM
Starting Member

nvm i got it. i wasnt pulling right. anyways just slammed my finger in the passenger door, the door latched, putting a tarp over the car cuz its raining so i'm taking a break.
thanks a lot.