Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

Shift kit

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 12:39 AM
Beginning Member
buffalorider13 is on a distinguished road
Default Shift kit

I have a 700 r4 that shifts great when its 30 outside but when its warm it wont shift till almost redline even if i try to manually kick it into gear. Tried adjusting the detent cable and didnt help. Tomorrow im doing a ton of work to my baby and i want to get a shiftkit and new fluid and filter.. What kit do you guys reccomend. Its a daily driver but i still want a nice rugged shift

Old 12-02-2010, 03:25 PM
Starting Member
Z71_Guy is on a distinguished road

sounds like you may need a rebuild, the fluid is thicker when its cold so it the tranny can create more pressure when it gets hot the fluid thins out and you have less pressure. you could start by changing the fluid and filter but a shift kit may go to waste if you need a rebuild.

Old 12-09-2010, 08:09 AM
Starting Member
helo is on a distinguished road

Transgo Jr if you insist on a kit. You probably don't need it, though. I had your exact problem, my 700r4 would only upshift at redline (when I got to the rev limiter, I guess).

It turned out I had some stuck valves in the valve body. The valve body is just one step beyond changing the filter. Maybe 16 10mm bolts holding it up. Search google for the procedure, you have to remove some stuff in order (but you will see when the pan is off, it's simple enough).

Your upshift valve is probably lodged all the way forward right now. A light tap/pry with a jewelers screwdriver is probably all it will take. Check all the bores that look like they have a sliding mechanism. And don't loose the check ***** (drop the VB flat, don't tip it).

Order yourself the correct ATSG manual (bulkpart.com has them, $20 or so). Very good/detailed drawings that will really help. I did it without the manual, but I wish I would have had it at the time =).

Old 12-10-2010, 03:35 PM
Beginning Member

hmm i had a guy at the grocery store ask me if it was a 3 on the tree or if i had a stuck valve body..lol. He saw me trying to get it to shift.. Now its opposite. it slips so bad when cold and shifts smooth when hot.. but its only going from 1st to 3rd i think.. its not right i know that.. i have only felt 2 gears in this thing so far. hence why im terrified to drive it anywhere

Old 12-10-2010, 06:32 PM
Starting Member

You sure it's not just 1st to 2nd? 1st to 3rd would be outrageous. Remember the 1st gear in a 700r4 is a lot bigger than 2nd. No matter when it shifts it's a huge rpm drop from 1-2.

With 3.73 gears I can do nearly 35mph in 1st.. maybe 55 in 2nd, probably 80mph in 3rd. 4th, well... faster than I car to drive my 4x4 =)

When I had my valvebody issue, it was usually just a redline 1-2 and 2-3, then 3-4 would usually shift at a more reasonable speed for some reason.

Sucks on the slipping, you probably need a rebuild. I'd suggest getting an ATSG manual for $20-30.

Old 12-11-2010, 12:31 PM
Beginning Member

You mean i need to rebuild my transmission? I dont think i could tackle that myself. How about just looking for a rebuilt trans?

Old 12-11-2010, 03:53 PM
Starting Member

You can try "lucas transmission fix" additive and cross your fingers. There's a good chance it might buy you some time. Obviously add the lucas after you work on the valve body if you intend to take the valve body out to see what you can do with it.

You might be able to fix the redline shifts without buying any parts if you're lucky (except filter/gasket). in-lb torque highly recommended to reinstall it, but not required. I found the torque specs on google for the VB bolts. I tell you, it's freakin' awesome having reasonable shift points. It really sucked in local city driving..

Some guy a few hours north of me in NY has rebuilts on craigslist for like $600, claims all new bushings/bands/clutches/sun gear shell/etc.., but I'm mildly skeptical of what he's claiming at that price point.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:27 PM
Beginning Member
chevyman09 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hate to thread jack but my transmission is gone(will not move any gear, pressure isn't there i can hold my finger over the transmission line going into the cooler) what would y'all recomen as far s kit wise, a master, or deluxe? I'm pretty sure the pump is gone and I plan on updating to the best sunshell

Old 12-29-2010, 01:57 PM
LS1K5 is on a distinguished road

A stuck throttle valve in the trans caused mine to shift at redline and coast but not shift when you let off the gas. There is a kit specifically for that problem from Transgo I think.