Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

Starter?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 01:47 PM
Forwhat77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Starter?

So I picked up my blazer yesterday from the shop because I needed a new radiator. Got it back and everthing was fine. Although when I started it, I heard a small squeel sound. Didnt think anything of it because I was happy to have my blazer back after 5 months.
Drove it all evening no problems. When I woke up this morning to go pick up some things from the store, I tried to crank it and all I got was a single click sound. All power still working, just will not fire up. The mechanic mentioned that I needed a bolt on my starter? But it should be just fine until I got it replaced in a few weeks. He said to get a universal starter because the make I have is a tricky model to find. 1994 Blazer/Silverado edition. 5.7L (the version right before the Tahoe, looks just like one).
My questions are what bolt could he have been talking about? Could it be just my starter went completely out overnight? Where could I order the universal starter that he speaks of for a good price?
Thank anybody for their suggestions and help!!

Old 01-19-2008, 02:42 PM
Default RE: Starter?

how come no one ever helps me? I have been researching this for awhile still to know avail. I am no where close to even being a drive way mechanic but I still want to learn how. I noticed that some talk about tapping the starter with a hammer to try and engage the brushes. Geez, I cant even locate my starter though

Old 01-19-2008, 02:56 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

You've waited less than an hour. People are out doing things, it's the weekend. You also have a full-size Blazer and posted in the 1st Gen section. This section is for S10 Blazers from 83-94, you need to post under this section, or ask a Mod to move this post for you.

I'm sorry you're having trouble with your truck but please don't take it out on us here.

Not many of us own the full-size Blazers or know about them so there aren't as many people who have the information you need. Please be patient as there are people capable of helping.

The little bit of legwork I did do for you was to find starters for your year truck at Advance Auto here. Here's a quick ask.com search for 'starter location 94 full size blazer'. Don't be afraid to get your hands dirty and do a little underhood exploring.

Old 01-19-2008, 03:05 PM

hey thankyou for the response. Sorry posted in the wrong section. Just anxious. If a mod would please move this to the proper section.

Old 01-19-2008, 03:44 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

*Moving to Fullsize Tech*

In '94, there were two different starters used. One is large and one is small (high torque mini starter). The starter is located on the passenger side of the engine block. If you have the large one, the wiring is going to be difficult to remove. The smaller one is quite a bit easier as you can get at the wiring. You'll have to know which one you have before you can get a replacement. I would recommend that you remove the starter and take it to the parts store with you if it ends up being the starter.

I just actually changed the starter on my Dad's '94 K2500 pickup a month or so ago. Nothing to it really other than the fact that I had to put a new terminal on the end of the positive cable due to corrosion. Some large vice grips, a torch, and some solder and the new terminal was on. That would be the first thing I would check.

And if you are missing a starter bolt, I would get that fixed sooner rather than later... They should be available at any autoparts store. While there, pick yourself up a Haynes or Chiltons manual as they cover things like this fairly well. That will help you when learning about your vehicle.