Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

still stalls and dies when goin slow

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 09:04 PM
Starting Member
ericthughes is on a distinguished road
Default still stalls and dies when goin slow

hey i cant figure this out when im in rverse or goin slow from a stoplight the whoile truck shuddders and stalls mostly when i dont give it a ton of gas to get it not to stall it dosnt shift well unless i let off the gas and itll switch intpo the right gear so i think i got a vaccum thing in my transmission but could this make it shudder and stall when going slow?also when i stop and turn it off it shudders and makes a souind like it releasing a bunch of exhaust ..it pops kinda like a backfire befor it dies also..ive adjusted the carb done the timeing a bunch replaced some vaccum lines i just dont get it ..please help 78 k5

Old 06-01-2011, 10:14 AM
ROUGA is on a distinguished road

Check the ERG Valve

Old 06-01-2011, 06:41 PM
Starting Member

what is it and where is it

Old 06-01-2011, 08:22 PM
Beginning Member
greendouglash is on a distinguished road

He means the EGR valve (The EGR valve helps your car more efficiently and completely burn fuel by recirculating a portion of your exhaust and running it through the combustion process again. This results in a cooler, more complete burn of the fuel which decreases you car's noxious emissions by prohibiting the formation of some harmful gases.), it should be located on the intake manifold. Here's a picture of it, EGR Valve for 78 K5

Old 06-01-2011, 09:15 PM
Starting Member

does that seem like the symptoms of a bad egr valve because those arent that cheap but if thats it then thats pretty easy

Old 06-02-2011, 07:29 AM
Starting Member
Z71_Guy is on a distinguished road

just block it off, unless you have emissions testing in your area.
I bought mine at advanced auto parts but you can get them just about anywere, or you can make your own

Old 06-02-2011, 06:04 PM
Starting Member

if i blocked it off how would i do that ..just so i cand see if thats the problem .then if it is ill go get a new one i dont know how to block it off though

Old 06-02-2011, 07:06 PM
Starting Member

im guessing my EGR valve is bolted straight to my maifold under my carb but theres a smaller similar lookin thing with a vaccum hose goin to it under my distributor but im guessin its the bigger one under the carb oh yeh its a 78 k5 350 whats the tourque on the egr valve?

Old 06-04-2011, 06:33 PM
Starting Member
Z71_Guy is on a distinguished road

to block off just unbolt and bolt on plate with new gasket, could not find the bolt torque specs on it but i just tighten it down. as for the vacuum line just block it off
egr+block+off+plate - JEGS High Performance

Old 06-04-2011, 09:32 PM
Starting Member

hey thanks for the link i didnt thing about jegs even though i get the catalog its 13-18 ft.lbs i foud out i finnally got my service manual back

Quick Reply: still stalls and dies when goin slow