Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

Strange pipe on exhaust manifold

Old 01-09-2011, 03:59 PM
Beginning Member
bill9000 is on a distinguished road
Default Strange pipe on exhaust manifold

Hey all - I've recently acquired some full length headers and such, getting ready to ditch the restrictive stock y pipe, and get some duals going on my 87 K5 here, and I was just getting ready to take the manifolds off and see these pipes coming out of each manifold, does anyone know offhand what they are for, and will it affect it's running without them?????

thanks! have a great day!

Old 01-09-2011, 07:06 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like an AIR pump line. Where does it run to?

Old 01-09-2011, 10:50 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by swartlkk View Post
Looks like an AIR pump line. Where does it run to?
the driver's side one appears so go around behind the block above the transmission... can't see exactly where it goes easily.

so, if it is AIR pump lines, when I remove them, and put the headers on, will there be some adverse affect - such as cold idle not working right or anything????

Old 01-10-2011, 09:08 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Other than the possibility of failing a visual inspection depending on how **** the inspector is and your local laws, it really won't hurt things to remove the whole AIR pump system. It is a system that pushes fresh air into the exhaust to improve catalytic converter efficiency. If you have replaced your catalytic converter(s) with newer style converters, this system really doesn't help all that much.

Old 01-14-2011, 02:27 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by swartlkk View Post
Other than the possibility of failing a visual inspection depending on how **** the inspector is and your local laws, it really won't hurt things to remove the whole AIR pump system. It is a system that pushes fresh air into the exhaust to improve catalytic converter efficiency. If you have replaced your catalytic converter(s) with newer style converters, this system really doesn't help all that much.
ok cool, I was just worried about taking this stuff off and having it not run or something.... also, there's a sensor of some sort in the driver's side exhaust manifold.... I'm assuming I might need to do something to bypass that as well...

Old 01-18-2011, 09:11 PM
Mighty Mouse is on a distinguished road

That sensor in the manifold is a O2 sensor and you can't delete it if you have a tbi engine.

Old 01-24-2011, 06:53 PM
TheTransporter is on a distinguished road

ahh not true. u CAN delete it but ur truck will run in closed loop FOREVER. ie my situation fml