Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

transmission or transfer case?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 10:58 AM
Beginning Member
cleiser25 is on a distinguished road
Default transmission or transfer case?

i drove my k5 to get the tag put on it ran a small errand on my way home truck wasnt giving a lick of trubble and when i pulled onto my road leading to my house i went to hit the gas to continue down my road and the rpms just rise and no power to wheels when you put it in park it sounds like it is grinding and will not engauge the transmission or something putting it in to gear again you can hear the transmission shifting but no output i put it in 4h and 4L but nothing. i am very good with tools and my hands but i have little knowledge about diagnosing problems with vehicles i can fix them once i know what is wrong tipically though if anyone has any thoughts they would be greatly appreciated. ohh and the transmission fluid looked good as well.

Old 04-20-2009, 11:13 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Could you give us an idea of what it is you are working on? Year, engine, transmission, and transfer case would be nice. From your other post, I can see you have an 1983 which, if the transfer case is stock, it should have the NP208 transfer case. In the future, please put this information in your signature and attach it to all of your posts.

It is possible that your transfer case jumped into neutral and that your linkage is screwed up. If you are attempting to shift the transfer case manually from underneath... The shift positions of the NP208 are as follows from the most forward position (towards the engine) to the rear most position: Two Wheel Drive High Range, Four Wheel Drive High Range, Neutral, Four Wheel Drive Low Range

Old 04-20-2009, 12:14 PM
Beginning Member

sorry about that its a 1983 chevy k5 it does not have the original motor in it but i belive it has the original transfercase and trans

Old 04-21-2009, 04:20 PM
Beginning Member

Ok i was able to get my 83 k5 into 4L and i drove it home when i got home i figured i would just try and put it back into 2WD and it worked. i drove the truck today and it is still slipping into nutral i can turn the truck off and put it into 4L and drive the truck about two feet and then put it back into 2WD and it works fine for a little while sometimes longer than others. i got under the truck and saw that the transfer case is leaking slow drip i checked the fluid level and it is a little low but not much and the fluid seems to be very thin to me and it is almost black. will changing the fluid help and if so is it supposed to be gear oil or trans fluid?

So far i am so very glad that i have found this fourm b/c those of you who have been able to help me are very knowledgable and very nice. to those of you who help THANKS ALOT i really appreciate it.

Old 04-21-2009, 07:41 PM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road

Sounds to me like the t-case shift linkage is screwed up. Could be an internal problem with the case though.
Start keeping your eyes peeled for NP208 cases, the newer the better, just be sure it has a speedo cable output. You would be surprised in that you can find whole trucks for the cost of what a salvage yard wants for just a t-case.

Old 04-21-2009, 07:41 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It is possible that your linkage is just out of adjustment, but it also could be a problem with the range fork inside the transfer case. There are plastic pads on the fork and if worn down, it can allow the transfer case to slip into neutral without movement of the shifter.

You will also want to inspect the transmission/transfer case mount for damage. Actually remove it and visually inspect it. Too much movement between the body & the transfer case can cause the linkage to pull the transfer case into neutral.

Old 04-23-2009, 07:09 PM
Beginning Member

ok i have decided to rebuild my tcase is thier any special tools needed to do this or will just regular hand tools be sufficiant in doing so. i have looked and it seems that thier are about 10 different rebuild kits available for the np208 does anyone know of a good one that i should use and does anyone have any tips?

thanks.

Old 04-23-2009, 07:14 PM
Administrator

I do not know if any of the bearings are press fits, but if they are, you will want to have a puller or a press handy. You will likely have to have a good snap ring pliers set.