Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

Twin Turbo 383 Crate Engine Carbed on an 82 K5

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 11:57 PM
19Blaze82 is on a distinguished road
Default Twin Turbo 383 Crate Engine Carbed on an 82 K5

Ya ya ya, I know, Oh got not another person who wants to do a Twin Turbo K5. I am looking for some advice on to what I will need. I have found a few kits on ebay for around $1200 shipped, But i have heard horror story's about the kits on there. I have a 1982 Blazer K5. I have a 383 Stroker that i want to Twin Turbo and put in the blazer. Only thing is I'm not sure what route to take to approach this project, Do i buy a kit for a similar vehicle and redesign the piping to make it work. I have already looked at superchargers for it. And NO!!!, i am not going to supercharge it. I am not going after practicality im going after, "Holy crap is that thing twin turboed" Now i am honestly looking for some ADVICE, not the "well honestly after you spend the money you could have boughten blah blah blah...." Now the whole turbo thing is new to me. If i buy a Kit off ebay what should i look for and what should i stay away from. The 383 I have has 9.5 to 1 comp. To lower it would i just get a thicker head gasket? or??? Im just looking for advice or possibly some one who has done this in the past. Thanks a Bunch.

Old 11-06-2010, 12:52 AM
Starting Member
mov4x4 is on a distinguished road

I'm not sure what you could do but if you don't find any answers here there's a company you could contact and that's nelson racing and see what info they could give you they do some damn good work they took a 4.3 v6 and made it twin turbo and in made 1067hp so I'm sure they could give you some good advice.

Old 11-06-2010, 09:11 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If this is your first turbo build, you are going to want to do a LOT of research first. The build really starts with the motor.

For instance...

You do not want to run standard compression ratios with a forced induction motor. Bad things will happen. Typically, turbo motors running a lot of boost have a static compression ratio of around 8.5:1.

What are you running for a crank? If you are expecting to be getting up there in power levels, the stock cast crank isn't going to cut it. Forged is the way to go.

The entire motor should be blue-printed if you want it to last.

This is just a primer. There is a LOT more that goes into it, but you have to start with a solid foundation before you can get to the point of bolting on the turbos.