General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

[2nd Gen] What optional factory equipment is "plug n' play"?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 11:14 PM
Beginning Member
seriosbrad is on a distinguished road
Default [2nd Gen] What optional factory equipment is "plug n' play"?

I'm just being curious tonight. For a 2001 Blazer, 2 door 4x4, are there any optional equipment factory that can just "plug" in with little to no modifications? ie, not needing a new wiring harness etc.

Old 04-03-2014, 08:57 PM
Starting Member
Neb15 is on a distinguished road

Im pretty sure the full 7 way power seats just connect to a couple wires hiding under there. Actually most upgraded power equipment will already have the wires tucked behind a panel or whatever to save time at the factory. I found the trailer harness wires tucked behind the bumper and just spliced on a connector.

Old 04-03-2014, 09:34 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Neb15
Im pretty sure the full 7 way power seats just connect to a couple wires hiding under there. Actually most upgraded power equipment will already have the wires tucked behind a panel or whatever to save time at the factory. I found the trailer harness wires tucked behind the bumper and just spliced on a connector.
I am not sure all of them have the wiring, I think most do have the wiring tucked away under the carpet, but some do not.

as for power windows/door locks ect.. that I am not sure of

Old 04-21-2014, 08:42 AM
Starting Member
DimeBlazr is on a distinguished road
Default Thread Revival

Does anyone else have anything to add to this? I'm wondering the same thing, I have an optionless 99 2 Door 4x4 5 speed and now that its running, holy crap it's easy to speed in, it must be about 2 millimeters of gas pedal movement keeps it going 60 MPH, I really need cruise control or i'm going to end up getting a ticket. I havent done much other digging but I noticed that there is a plug under the hood up in the left corner near the brake booster and it has a cap on it, i would assume that if the harness is equipped to plug in the underhood module then the wires for the turn signal/wiper switch "WIth Cruise" on the column should be there under the dash then too? This also gets me thinking about adding power windows/locks and maybe even rear defrost for the back glass.

So i guess the question is, has anyone ever had one of these "optionless" blazers stripped down and noticed a bunch of plugs capped off going to nothing?

I think the only option this thing has is push button 4x4 and A/C...if A/C was actually an option....
Heres what ive noticed that it DOESN'T have

NO
Tilt Steering Wheel
Rear Defrost
Cruise
Power Windows/Locks
Power Mirrors
Power Seats
Remote Keyless Entry
Power Rear Hatch Release
Overhead Information Center (Temp/Compass)
Rear Wiper
Sunroof

Old 04-22-2014, 07:16 AM
jimspahr@msn.com is on a distinguished road

I have a similar situation with my 2003 Blazer 2 door 4WD. It does have PS, PB, auto trans, and delay windshield wipers. No cruise, tilt, power door locks, power windows, I really miss the convenience of power windows and power door locks. And power seats? Heck, no! it has manual cloth seats. I don't miss the rear window wiper because I can't see out of it anyway because of the spare tire mounted there. Thank goodness it has great side mirrors. Still fun to drive!

Old 04-22-2014, 12:24 PM
Starting Member
DimeBlazr is on a distinguished road

Did some checking at the salvage yard, I can get the cruise module for under the hood for $25 and the mutifunction switch with cruise for $25 so for $50 total I think i'll give it a shot, my last speeding ticket for 10 MPH over was $116. The hardest option to find the right parts for is adding tilt, its rare to find a manual trans with tilt i guess, i can get a steering column for about $75 but have to figure out which way to go because the manual transmission uses a different key release set up on the ignition switch, if I can find a floor shift auto column with tilt and the right multifunction switch (with cruise) already in it and just swap ignition switches that would be the best.

Sorry I was thinking while I typed there.....

If I ever get around do doing this I will post info.