General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

02 TrailBlazer new to us!

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 08:18 PM
96Blazernut is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 02 TrailBlazer new to us!

We went to Ohio on vacation a couple of weeks ago and we ended up taking the GF's 2000 Ford Focus. UGHHH No cruise or power windows. The reason we didnt take the fully loaded Blazer is that it has some engine issues that I can't figure out.

Anyway, we came back from vacation and about 10 miles from home it started acting strange.. Well it being our only roadworthy vehicle we kept driving it. This last monday the engine crapped a cookie as my GF says.. Its got a serious knock in it. I checked on engines for it and they want $1k and up for a used motor. Gone are the days of getting one for $75 and the yard pulls it for you.

So I started looking around for a good used car for us. We wanted another SUV. So I found a 2002 TrailBlazer LS with 115K miles on it. We went and looked at it this afternoon. Wow is it nice. Its got all the bells and whistles in it. Moonroof and power everything. The only thing not power was the seats. The car place where we are getting it has to do some body work on it because their rollback driver screwed up the front bumper cover. Other than that it's in super shape. We get to pick it up next monday or tuesday.

The "other" Blazer is still going to be in the family. I like it too much to get rid of it. And it's too much fun in the snow.. Ya know you just can't get rid of your Blazer..

I just had to tell you guys. I'll post pics when we get it.

Old 08-19-2010, 11:55 PM
Banned
blazerboyz is on a distinguished road

Good luck^^^^^ I work on those cars everyday, and let me tell you they are piles of shat!!! The 4.2 is an ok engine. But the 4x4 is a joke!!! It goes through the oil pan, and the front diffs always seem to crap out. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE i work for chevy and would NEVER OWN ONE OF THESE VEHICLES. This is one blazer buddy to another i just dont want to see you spend alot of money on a p.o.s.

Old 08-20-2010, 12:00 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats on the purchase 96Blazernut. I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Not sure what you're talking about there bb, but the GMT360 platform vehicles are just as reliable as the old s-series in the 4wd department. Your comments are the first that I have read about front diff failures in everything that I have my hands into. Maybe a rash of abusive owners with lack luster maintenance habits in your area...?

Old 08-20-2010, 12:02 AM
96Blazernut is an unknown quantity at this point

GM sold 1.1 million of these in 2002 so they can't all be bad. You get bad units here and there. It all depends on how you take care of them. Google the s-10 Blazers and see the negative reviews on them. But we still buy them.

Thanks Kyle.

It's got a few minor issues but the car place is going to repair them so it's all good.

Last edited by 96Blazernut; 08-20-2010 at 12:05 AM.
Old 08-20-2010, 12:59 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

congrats on the new acquisition brother.

as for them being POS's.............i've gotta agree with Kyle, never really heard any super negative stories about them.

hell, they make a pretty good TBSS, if you ask me!

Old 08-20-2010, 04:26 AM
BF Veteran
kiwiblazer is on a distinguished road

Who cares? I love my Blazer. Even with the steering wheel . . . .

Old 08-20-2010, 07:37 AM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by kiwiblazer
Who cares? I love my Blazer. Even with the steering wheel . . . .
Only a backwards Blazer could drive upside down...

Old 08-20-2010, 08:20 AM
Beginning Member
All Star is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by blazerboyz
Good luck^^^^^ I work on those cars everyday, and let me tell you they are piles of shat!!! The 4.2 is an ok engine. But the 4x4 is a joke!!! It goes through the oil pan, and the front diffs always seem to crap out. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE i work for chevy and would NEVER OWN ONE OF THESE VEHICLES. This is one blazer buddy to another i just dont want to see you spend alot of money on a p.o.s.
The 4.2 won best motor for like three straight years....it's a little more than "ok"

Old 08-20-2010, 01:01 PM
Banned
blazerboyz is on a distinguished road

^^^Have u ever worked on one??? If you never have had the chance to then all your doing is reading reviews. GM tryd the stright six years ago, and it died horrably. I think and dont quote me i think it was in the vegas??? But im not sure i know it was a small car and every one riped the motors out for v-8's. Im just sayin the front diffs suck really bad. The bearing race's in the front diff get pitted and start to humm, kinda like a wheel bearing. But then you realize after you put a wheel bearing on it only to find out it still makes the same noise

Old 08-20-2010, 01:34 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blazerboyz
^^^Have u ever worked on one???
I hope you aren't asking me. If you are, you don't pay very good attention...

And the Atlas series of engines can barely be compared with the previous straight six engines. About the only thing it has in common is the fact that it has 6 cylinders lined up in a row...

Quick Reply: 02 TrailBlazer new to us!