General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

1992 4.3L 5 speed 2 door or 1998 4.3L auto 4 door?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 08:37 PM
Starting Member
travisrussell88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kickme005
will if it has that stuff sdone to the 92 and selling that cheap of price there could be stuff wrong with it. or you could buy the 92 and keep your 98 and use both.
I could keep the '98 like you said, and have the '92 as a project, or atleast keep the '98 until i'm sure the '92 is dependable enough. The guy bought it for his son who didn't want it, and he doesn't want it to sit and rot, the guy was very polite and looked me in the eye when we talked, had no problem letting me scrutinize it and look at everything, he actually encouraged it, answered all my questions as thoroughly as he could showed me somethings i didnt notice like the lack of a spare tire and some damage to the front fender at the bottom. I had a friends dad look at it with me and had he had the money he'd loan it to me, as for my dad, he doesn't like it now b/c it's older. however thats why i like it, it's one of the newest of that body style that i like.

I'm looking at it again on thursday with tools and i'll be sure to check fluids, I wish my dad would be more open minded about what I want and just look at it with me with out a predetermined "NO". He always says a car is no good before looking at it, no matter what it is, if i want it it can't be good. He'll buy a salvage titled firebird out of a junk yard for my brother, but he won't even look at a car for me, it's part of his "I don't want you to be a mechanic" bull****. I love cars and working on them, I just hate working on new cars, being a computer network administrator (what im going to school for) is so boring to me and though i like computers i dont love them like i do cars. If he wants me to stay out of his career field he should embrace me getting a project and making it a hobby instead of a career. But he'd rather me live my life as he wants me to than to be happy and live my own life. It's driving me insane. I'm most likely buying it on thursday b/c I looked at it for 2 hours, as did my friends dad and we both like it and think its a good deal. It's something I like and can enjoy and work on, unlike my current blazer that I only have b/c it was either it or a '98 malibu, and my sister wanted the malibu. Yes I like my blazer but not as much as I like older blazers.

Last edited by swartlkk; 07-06-2010 at 07:25 AM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the EDIT feature to include additional information in your post if another member has yet to reply.
Old 07-05-2010, 09:23 PM
ImScrewed92 is an unknown quantity at this point

I feel ya. My dad was a ASE certified mechanic and he didn't want me to be a "grease monkey" like he was. I can relate, he bought a Mercury Lynx for us to work on and then sold it cause I was into it, but he lost interest. But I think he just got to a point he didn't like myself or his wife cause he did a few things on my blazer and he screwed all of them up, even though he knew what he was doing. Haven't talked to him since he split with my mother about 3 years back. It was for the better though. But anywho...

I'd say get it but try not to step on dad's toes too much. Once you buy it and pay the $600 back and get to working on it and he sees you don't need him to help you, he might come around some. I wouldn't want to be a mechanic, too much liabilities and I hate dealing with people to be honest. But I LOVE cars, and I wouldn't want my love to be tarnished by being forced to do it day after day. Plus when people neglect thier cars it makes me wanna beat the tar out of em' so I wouldn't last long in a shop . Good luck on the purchase and one more thing...
I want pics dammit! lol

Last edited by ImScrewed92; 07-05-2010 at 09:25 PM.
Old 07-05-2010, 09:48 PM
Starting Member

Well, since my buddy backed out on loaning me the money and my buddies dad wants to but doesnt have the money, I'm waiting until thursday (payday) and selling my guitars and amp so i have some extra cash incase I need it. He knows I would make a good auto tech, but I ask him for advice b/c I'm not experienced and I want to be sure I'm doing something right when I'm working on a car. But seeing how he gets pissed off thinking I'm just gonna use anything he teaches me to start a career I have to learn on my own, which means alot of mistakes.

When my brother turned 15 my dad bought him a project car, my brother sold it and bought another car. My dad helped him fix up that car, my brother wrecked that car. My brother didn't like the car my dad bought him b/c it was a project and not a finished car, so he told my dad he didn't want it and sold it complaining about it. So, instead of punishing my brother my dad punished me, and every birthday since my 15th I was disappointed, expecting what my dad had promised, a project car just like my brother got. It never happened, in fact the only reason I got a car from him at all is b/c my mom got a new car and didn't want to try selling her old car, when my sister was of age for a car he then bought a fiero and told her she could have it or the malibu that i drove until my mom wanted a new car again. I got my moms old blazer, my sister got the malibu and my dad kept the fiero. he simply didn't want to try selling the blazer or malibu especially while the family back home was giving him **** about giving my brother a car and not us. When my brother totalled his car he drove my dads car until we moved, then he was given my dads '66 c10 and my dad helped him financially and physically rebuild it. He never wants to look at mine if i have a problem and am at wits end, but will never hesitate to pay for new tires on my brothers truck, or pay for the tags and inspection, which my brother complained about the tires b/c he wanted different ones, and my dad didn't care if he complianed, he'd do it again. The only reason he helped me this time and looked at my truck is b/c my mom was letting me use her car. Looking back he took me to the drag races once, never any other races, rarely took me to carshows, in fact it was always my uncle taking me to races and shows while my dad took my brother, and my dad always told me my uncle was stupid and such, but atleast my uncle taught me a few things, like how to tow cars, how to fix older cars, how to disassemble cars and how to drive a truck, or drive period. When I was growing up it wasn't doing the normal stuff on the weekends, it was going to my grandpas and uncles junkyard to work just to be able to do something with cars, if i stayed home i got to do nothing but sleep all day or help mom with the house. I never got paid as much for working with my uncle or grandpa as my brother did, but I was learning something and I enjoyed it. My uncle would take me to carshows and drag races and auctions when we werent working, and he never yelled at me for asking questions, he just answered them the best he could. Everything I learned from my grandpa and uncle my dad always said was wrong, and now that we live 1200 miles away he says he learned alot from my grandpa when he was my age, the same grandpa he used to claim was always wrong...ironic isnt it?

Quite frankly my dad being an *** about all this just makes me wanna buy a ford, dodge, or ricer just to **** him off. Or to modify the hell out of my '98. I wouldn't enjoy a ford, dodge, ricer or a modified 4 door 2nd gen very much, but it'd **** him off. However, I actually want this blazer and I can care less what my dad thinks b/c nothing will ever make him happy until I'm a doctor or lawyer making good money to support him and my mom

Attached Thumbnails 1992 4.3L 5 speed 2 door or 1998 4.3L auto 4 door?-3k43p83o65o65t15w5a6l8dc87a6da5b6151c.jpg   1992 4.3L 5 speed 2 door or 1998 4.3L auto 4 door?-3kb3m73p75y45p35s6a6lfc639378baf115e5.jpg   1992 4.3L 5 speed 2 door or 1998 4.3L auto 4 door?-3n43mb3od5t25x45r0a6l6d484039de281a4d.jpg   1992 4.3L 5 speed 2 door or 1998 4.3L auto 4 door?-0705001456.jpg   1992 4.3L 5 speed 2 door or 1998 4.3L auto 4 door?-0705001444.jpg  

Last edited by swartlkk; 07-06-2010 at 07:25 AM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the EDIT feature to include additional information in your post if another member has yet to reply.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:53 PM
ImScrewed92 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah I understand that. Mine always said that modifing vehicles was pointless. If it didn't come from the factory like that, you shouldn't do it. My headlights dim because of the stereo, don't need a high output alternator, need to remove the stereo. Bigger tires will blow the engine, body lifts will crack the body. The list goes on.

And this is the same guy that when I was little had a late 60's early 70's Nova. 31 inch DOT drag radials, built 350, dual glass packs, air shocks, flat black paint and blood red interior. Yet when it came to mine, it should be left factory and anything I want is a waste of money, even performance stuff like his Nova... That's how it goes.

But back on subject, how could a kid not want that blazer? If it wasn't for Texas being like 48+ hour drive from West Virginia I would scoop that up in a second for $600. That engine bay looks cleaner and better than mine! But what all has been done to the engine? Off cource the air cleaner isn't factory. And the alternator with the gold/colored fan looks like the Powermaster 140amp alt I bought to replace the factory alt when I bought my truck. Man that thing is pretty cherry for a 1st gen. Needs a paint job and a few dents and dings popped out but looks pretty good.

Old 07-05-2010, 11:16 PM
Starting Member

The engine actually sounds amazing, it has a catback exhaust, it appears to be mostly stock, the mods he knows about are what the previous owner told him and the obvious ofcourse, the 2" drop up front, 4" drop out back, catback, aircleaner, it sounds like it has a mild cam the valve covers dont look factory, which leads me to wonder if the valvetrain was changed. We had both blazers running and the '92 sounded healthier than my '98, which surprised me cause my '98 runs beautifully now, the original paint was a dark metallic red on the '92 so I plan on painting it the same color or a similar color, steering column had the same small leak mine does, no visible leaks other than that, teh guys name is chris and he's very confident that it can drive to austin w/o any issue, he's actually a 67-72 chevy c10 guy who bought the blazer for his son who found a silverado he liked better. interior wise it needs a new center console (broken) and stereo, the dash is cracked also, but the rest looks very good for its age, it actually looks to be better than my '98s interior. I started it up and didnt drive it but i did go through the gears with the clutch in and it went into all gears like butter, better than my dads fiero that has a fresh rebuilt 4 speed. clutch is firm and doesn't lose pressure, mil light is not on, bulb worked when i turned ignition on, temp was normal, volts were normal, oil pressure was normal, idled beautifully, a/c doesn't work but i rarely use it anyway. best part about it is i can get to anything i need to in the engine bay, it's not cluttered like my '98.

Old 07-06-2010, 07:27 AM
Banned
kickme005 is on a distinguished road

well how long to do u think that 92 will last with that high if miles. maybe use ur current 98 as a daily drive and the 92 fun car. then in case the 92 breaks down u'll have the 98 to drive.

Old 07-06-2010, 07:46 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by kickme005
well how long to do u think that 92 will last with that high if miles. maybe use ur current 98 as a daily drive and the 92 fun car. then in case the 92 breaks down u'll have the 98 to drive.
well, 217k isn't very much from what I've seen in the 4.3L nor is it much from what my dad's seen, ofcourse I'm immediately changing the oil and such. I can keep the '98 for a little while, as long as I can insure both and move out by next summer, which is possible if I quit eating out all the time.

Also, it seems the engine and tranny may have been rebuilt, the truck drives gorgeously, sounds great, better than any 4.3L v6 i've heard before, and it has a distinctive lobe to it like its got a cam in it. The guy bought it that way so he doesn't know what's in it, which sucks b/c i wanna know what's been done to it and whats in it so i dont repeat things unnecessarily or say pull a great cam out and put a good cam in you know what i mean? but it is an over all clean truck aside from the body

Last edited by travisrussell88; 07-10-2010 at 10:01 PM.