General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

1997 chevy blazr lt Coolant leak from back of engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2021, 06:32 PM
Johnny1025 is on a distinguished road
Default 1997 chevy blazr lt Coolant leak from back of engine

I replaced my front u joint and in order to remove it, i jacked up the tail of the drivetrain to slide the driveshaft out. I started the truck and now its leaking from the back of the engine. Would shifting the drivetrain up crack the block? Or did i disturb the intake manifold...?

Old 04-01-2021, 09:44 PM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

Any chance it's leaking from one of the heater hoses at the firewall?

Old 04-02-2021, 09:00 AM

Not sure, ran out of daylight and steam last night. Where would the location be where they run through the firewall?

Old 04-02-2021, 09:08 AM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by Johnny1025
Not sure, ran out of daylight and steam last night. Where would the location be where they run through the firewall?
I don't remember exactly what it looks like and I don't have mine with me to look at, but it will be to the right of center. You should be able to follow the hoses.

Old 04-02-2021, 11:41 AM

It is either pooling or leaking here. Not sure what this hose is but its in the front of the engine and there is a visible trail to the back of the engine...does this engine tilt forqards or backwards? Im hoping backwards, because that would hopefully mean this fitting is leaking.

Old 04-02-2021, 11:42 AM

It is either pooling or leaking here. Not sure what this hose is but its in the front of the engine and there is a visible trail to the back of the engine...does this engine tilt forqards or backwards? Im hoping backwards, because that would hopefully mean this fitting is leaking.

Old 04-02-2021, 11:48 AM
BF Veteran

That large metal tube going off to the right is your thermostat housing (on the intake manifold end) and goes to your upper radiator hose. There's a rubber gasket on the thermostat that seals it, and it's not uncommon to have a leak there. I would drain the coolant, flush if necessary, then replace the thermostat with a new gasket. Also check the housing for rust or corrosion that would prevent a proper seal.

And the engine is supposed to tilt toward the back slightly, so leaks at the front could easily run off the back.

Old 04-02-2021, 11:58 AM

Gotcha and its actually pooling up right under neath the fitting screwed in to the manifold, i think its the uppper, on my picture. One of the pictures you can see numbers on the hose. Thats where the pool is, like directly underneath it in a little gully in the casting.

Old 04-02-2021, 12:02 PM

more pics, you can see the floresant dexcool.

Old 04-02-2021, 12:07 PM
BF Veteran

That hose with the numbers looks like EGR, not a coolant hose. It shouldn't be leaking from there, but it could still puddle there.

Quick Reply: 1997 chevy blazr lt Coolant leak from back of engine