General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

2001 blazer for $425

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2018, 06:04 AM
GreenBlazer2002 is on a distinguished road
Default Back in the saddle

I drove it to work one day last week, limping along in its weakened condition. Couldn't get above 2k RPM without it wanting to die. It's only a 15 minute drive one way and I took the route with the least amount of traffic so as not to be in the way. It had been sitting for a while and I didn't want things getting too settled.
Went to move it around the yard the next day so I could cut the grass and it was back to normal again. It still shows the P0171 and P0174 codes, but it's totally driveable on the interstate again. Maybe there's some junk in the tank or the injectors or something. I don't know.
However, I have noted that the temp never goes above 174. So now I have a P0128 code. If the coolant temperature sensor is bad that would explain these erratic conditions. When the one on my 02 went out I had all sorts of issues. So I will begin by replacing that and see what happens from there.

Old 10-08-2018, 11:22 AM
BF Veteran
DonL is on a distinguished road

Good to hear about it. As long as you stay under 2g to get her traveling good, shes still a score.

Old 10-29-2018, 05:02 AM
Default Update

Well I've been able to drive it for a few weeks now. Seems to be improving over time. Still have the codes though.
Replaced the coolant temperature sensor because it was giving me a P0128 code and operating temp never shows above 174°F. Used an AC Delco part. Still have same problem. Perhaps the thermostat is stuck open or absent?
Ran some seafoam through the intake and poured about half of it in the tank. Seems to start and run better.
Repaired the broken off defrost tab. Now I have 2 working grid lines. Hooray for progress!!
Replaced the front door speakers. Of course that's always a win.
Replaced the elcheapo head unit with a stock CD player from the boneyard. Put new ***** on it and now the dash is looking factory fresh.
Been working on the door panels. Passengers side is good but drivers side is pretty bad. Still in progress.
Got iridium plugs yesterday and have wires, cap, and rotor on the way.
Can't wait till next week when I'm off so I can get it all done!

Old 10-29-2018, 05:38 PM
N. Jensen is on a distinguished road

Good to read that you're back on track.

Old 11-09-2018, 05:06 AM

Door panel/armrest rebuild complete and installed.
And that's where I disturbed the balance of broken things.
Then next day, the rear drivers side caliper siezed up.
The day after that, the passengers side rear caliper on my other Blazer siezed up.
And incidentally, I was doing an upgrade on the other one anyway so what I did was swap out calipers so the other one is driveable while I figure out what to do about this one. So it's currently up on jack stands.
So I guess it's a sort of backhanded good luck thing that they happened to fail on opposite sides so I would still have a set of working calipers?
Depends on how you look at it I guess.

Old 11-30-2018, 09:34 AM

Installed the two leftover good calipers on the rear yesterday. Made the mistake of allowing the fluid to run dry and had to spend a ton of extra time correcting that.
Installed an FM bluetooth transmitter so I can enjoy my apps.
Bought a ton of stuff for it but have yet to install such as cap, plugs, wires, seat recline handles, front and rear wipers, etc, etc, etc.
But it's still running good, even with the P0171 and P0174 codes. Not quite as powerful as my 02, but it will do for now.
Taking through the wash has revealed a really good clear coat now that all the tree sap is gone.
Can't wait to polish it up.

Old 11-30-2018, 11:43 AM
BF Veteran
DonL is on a distinguished road

Nice... almost there!

Old 05-19-2019, 04:07 PM
Default The road so far......

So I installed new fuel injectors today. Went with AC Delco. She fires right up with no misfires. HOWEVER, a new problem has arisen:
P0101 and P0174, combined with a high idle (approximately 1500 in drive, 1800 in park).
I swapped out the MAF sensor with my other Blazer and it worked fine, so that's not the issue.
Suggestions on how to proceed?

Old 05-22-2019, 01:13 AM

Bumpy bump bump.

Old 05-27-2019, 04:19 AM

Tracked down the idle issue. A misdirected vacuum hose.
Running so smooth and powerful now.
However, when I take off from a dead stop, there's a slight hesitation. Like a hiccup.
Also getting a flashing SES under hard acceleration, but no noticeable skip or lack of power. Strange.
So there's your update.

Quick Reply: 2001 blazer for $425