General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

2008 Consumer Report against Blazer

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 08:49 PM
Taymacjack is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: 2008 Consumer Report against Blazer

the way i look at it, most vehicles are reliable when they are maintained. sure, there are a few parts which are likely to break down prematurely (like leaking oil cooler lines or ball joints), but to say that the whole vehicle is unreliable is a joke. Just do the regular maintenance and inspections and there shouldn't be any problems. The problem with used cars is usually the past owners.

Old 03-27-2008, 12:35 AM
BF Veteran
EuroGoldLS is on a distinguished road

All consumer reports is there to do is sell itself like every other magazine. Buy a sports illustrated instead. Much more value for the money.

Old 03-27-2008, 02:28 AM
4x4blazerguy is on a distinguished road

Years ago my 1979 Chevrolet CK20 4x4 was a Consumer worst buy. 350,000 miles later I couldn't understand why it was still running & never really gave me any trouble if Consumers was so right. Just regular maintenance. So I quit reading Consumers Report.

Old 03-27-2008, 07:06 AM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

Found something interesting online...On my Land Rover forum, there is a group called True Delta that does independent research, and they've got a write up of "Seven Serious Problems with Consumer Reports".

Worth a read I think, it'll make things a bit clearer. True Delta is doing a reliability study of Land Rovers but specifically avoiding Consumer Report's issues, anddddd they've eliminated self selection bias!!! Basically when someone responds to their survey, they can only report further problems and shop time. There is a second study for 'past repair issues'.

The best part pretaining to us Blazer drivers:
Taken From: TrueDelta.com

In the absence of hard numbers, people tend to assume that the best vehicles are better than they are and that the worst vehicles are worse than they are. I once had a vigorous discussion with the owner of a Japanese SUV. As proof of his vehicle's superior reliability, he noted that its brand had been the highest-rated in Consumer Reports' 2005 auto issue. His brand's nearly new cars had had eight "serious problems" per hundred vehicles. While this was less than half the eighteen problems per hundred nearly new domestic brand vehicles, the absolute difference was just one-tenth of a serious problem per car.

This did not--and does not--strike me as anything to get wound up over. The real problem: few people when glancing through the magazine think about the absolute numbers behind the relative ratings.
Blazers arn't being studied right now though..I think they seem to be focusing more on new cars, and only used cars go back to about 2001. Good stuff though!

Old 03-27-2008, 08:20 AM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

The reason truedelta.com doesn't have info posted on the Blazers is mainly because not enough people have filled out the needed registration to get them active in their database. I have brought this up here before, but I guess those of us with newer Blazers just aren't interested enough to sign up with them.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:36 AM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: kmartin

I guess I was a little disgrundled to have my 5 year old Blazer having some minor issues. Then I saw a consumer report saying Bad Things about Blazers. But hey, lennyblazer right, problems with vehicles is part of vehicle ownership. Does not matter if I own a Chevy or Honda. Pretty much I am hoping it will go a while before something else happens. The Blazer is not nickel and dimeing me yet, and I can't tell Consumer report a whole lot either. rriddle3 if that what you say about consumer report, then that will make it very slainted. My Co-worker who think lots of Toyota, and trying to persade me Toyota is the way to go. I saw a 2004 Toyota RAV 4 advertise at a local dealer. My Blazer was 3 years old when I got it. This RAV4 is 4 years old. My Blazer had 32,900 miles on it. This was +40,000 miles. But they were asking $4500 dollars more for it then what I paid for my Blazer. My Co-worker told me, " You get what you pay for". I told him "RIP OFF". And on top of that, my Blazer has a 4.3 V6. That RAV4 has only a 4 cylindar. I say "RIP OFF" again.
Im pretty sure they have a S/C option on some.....Think I'd take a Rav4 over my jimmy [X(]

Old 03-27-2008, 05:49 PM
ukblazer is an unknown quantity at this point

I wouldn't worry about it too much. if you maintain your vehicles, you lessen the chance of a break-down. between me, my buisiness partner and our wifes, we own about 16 cars, of varing nationalites, the main problem is flat batteries on the ones that havent benn used for a while.

We have two MG-F's at the mo, built by Rover Group (now gone bust) any one I talk two who never owned one always tuts and sucks in breath, with a shake of the head and says *terrible reliability those, always blowing the head gasket etc etc* I'm in an MG club, only a couple of members have sufferd this problem, and when you enqire as to the last time they checked oil/water, they generally havent!!

speak to people who have owend and used a car, and ask them why they got rid of it

People who spend there time trying to get you to buy the same car as them, are only doing so because they sub-conciously are worried that they made a mistake, and want some kind of justification/back-up as to thier decision, you drive the car you want to, they can drive the car they want to.

Old 03-27-2008, 10:38 PM
4x4blazerguy is on a distinguished road

ORIGINAL: WolfPack

Found something interesting online...On my Land Rover forum, there is a group called True Delta that does independent research, and they've got a write up of "Seven Serious Problems with Consumer Reports".

Worth a read I think, it'll make things a bit clearer. True Delta is doing a reliability study of Land Rovers but specifically avoiding Consumer Report's issues, anddddd they've eliminated self selection bias!!! Basically when someone responds to their survey, they can only report further problems and shop time. There is a second study for 'past repair issues'.

The best part pretaining to us Blazer drivers:
Taken From: TrueDelta.com

Very interesting info Thanks for posting it.

In the absence of hard numbers, people tend to assume that the best vehicles are better than they are and that the worst vehicles are worse than they are. I once had a vigorous discussion with the owner of a Japanese SUV. As proof of his vehicle's superior reliability, he noted that its brand had been the highest-rated in Consumer Reports' 2005 auto issue. His brand's nearly new cars had had eight "serious problems" per hundred vehicles. While this was less than half the eighteen problems per hundred nearly new domestic brand vehicles, the absolute difference was just one-tenth of a serious problem per car.

This did not--and does not--strike me as anything to get wound up over. The real problem: few people when glancing through the magazine think about the absolute numbers behind the relative ratings.
Blazers arn't being studied right now though..I think they seem to be focusing more on new cars, and only used cars go back to about 2001. Good stuff though!

Old 03-28-2008, 10:26 PM
BF Veteran
EuroGoldLS is on a distinguished road

Nowadays, each vehicle is just as reliable as the next. I've actually talked to the owner of truedelta.com on the Chevroletforum when he wrote an article about the reliability of different vehicles. Even though he was plugging his site, it was great info, so I just left it. Seemed to be a lot better info than what you'll find on consumer reports.