General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

2dr or 4dr?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 12:15 PM
RedLT is on a distinguished road
Default 2dr or 4dr?

Okay, so I may have to change my username since my Red LT got totaled when a driver distracted by her phone rear-ended me at about 30 mph (and I was stopped). For the last two weeks I've been looking for a suitable replacement without much success, since I don't want to start out with something with 180k that's too old and too worn. What got totaled was a 2001 4dr LT with 125k that was in nearly perfect condition. I owned it for exactly 5 months.

Anyway, what I'm finding in my area is that right now anyway it's much easier to find a low mileage great condition 2dr than a 4dr. So I have some elementary questions, since I'm still new to Blazers in general-

In the short time I've been a member of this forum, I've gotten the impression that there are more mechanical differences between the 4dr and 2dr versions than might be expected. Is this true, and what are the significant ones (apart of course, from the door count)? What (if any) suspension and drivetrain parts don't interchange?

What's the real difference in cargo volume? I know I can look up the cubic feet but that's not as meaningful as user experience, especially given the difference in the angle of the rear hatch.

Since it doesn't look to me like you could carry much more than a carry-on suitcase with the spare stored inside, how big a pain is it to add a good external carrier? What's the down side of doing this? I assume the 2dr never carried a spare underneath like the 4dr.

I'm still looking for a 4dr first, but may have to compromise soon since the one I lost was my daily driver...