General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

2nd Blazer

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2021, 11:04 PM
roddy is on a distinguished road
Default 2nd Blazer

On my 2nd Blazer.I lied, 2nd is 1998 barn find Jimmy purchased in 2016.
My first 1996 Blazer was hit while parked and insurance gave me small pay out.

My 1996 LT about 15 minutes before it was plowed into

Few blocks from my house there was four door Jimmy / Blazer that has been parked for years.
It was parked under Cedar tree buried under 18 inches of rotting ceder bows and leaves, completely green with algae and 3 flat tires!

After sweeping roof off

Temporary splicing

More Splicing

Things get interesting as the emblem on the lift gate is Envoy. Never seen a 2nd gen Envoy. Walking around to the grill, right away I the spotted headlights, they are factory HID lights!
Body is straight and no rust. Thinking to myself that this Envoy may be a diamond under all the detritus and slime!
Left a note on houses front door. That evening the owner phoned and was wanting it gone. We agreed that if it ran I would pay $200 bucks.
Came back on my days off with broom, tools and jumper cables. Pushed 300 lbs of crap off the roof and 100 lbs off engine hood. I live in Vancouver BC so everything is wet. Finally get engine hood up. Engine bay was a mouse condominium, to say the least. Went back home returning with leaf blower to blow mouse straw and poop out!!!!
Put the jumpers on. Sat behind the wheel turning ignition on, right away noticing, SES lamp off, started to cranking, she had oil pressure but no start. OK lets give her a shot of either, no joy. Lets check if we have spark? No spark and no fuel pressure..
Found the problem, mice had chewed through both cables leading to ECM, heater blower, engine harness between MAP sensor and coil.
On next days off head to pick a part and get harness's. Lucky they were just about to cut harness pull engine. Paid 50 bucks and took almost entire engine bay wiring harness.
Basically mice had chewed through right side engine bay wiring. There are lots of wires going to ECM. Took a whole day to test splice donor harness and double check it.
OK lets test it hooking up negative battery lead, after 10 minutes no smoke no fire so far. OK lets turn on ignition. SES light on, fuel pump ran for 5 seconds, let it sit for 10 minutes, hooray no smoke no fire! Lets crank her, she tried to lite off on 3rd or 4th revolution. Put 10 gallons of fresh gas in tank and bought a gas cap.
Shot of either and She fired up immediately. All the gauges dash idiot lights work. Aired up tires, they looked new, sidewalls appeared not damaged. Drove it up and down the back lane. Went to ICBC to transfer ownership and put insurance on it, done, it was my Envoy.
Drove her home and put the pressure washer on it and vacuumed interior.
The story as explained by previous owner was that her son was using it to commute to university. At some point the SES was illuminated, eventually it was time for emission test. It failed, couldn't renew registration. Bought several permits until they wouldn't sell any more. It was parked under the cedar tree for 4 1/2 years.
SES never did come on again. Think Envoy was parked because no one realized the missing gas cap was the source of the EVAP code and SES lamp

Last edited by roddy; 04-30-2021 at 05:57 PM. Reason: add pictures
Old 04-30-2021, 06:11 AM
BF Veteran
DonL is on a distinguished road

Welcome. Looking foward to seeing the new ride

Old 04-30-2021, 04:37 PM

Have had this Envoy from 2016 but never got around to posting pictures. There is a Blazer equivalent with different HID headlight arrangement. Cant remember the name, saw one once. Maybe more rare than Envoy? Maybe someone has access to production numbers?
After rescuing her she needed new radiator and battery. Other than that she was good to go. Check engine lamp has remained off except for transmission slipping. She passed emission tests.
Put rebuilt transmission in last year at 280,000 km. $3600 dollars later I have good reliable vehicle. Know transmission is worth 3 times what its worth, but would not be able to replace her for $3600 bucks.

Recent picture

Recent picutre

She cleaned up well

Last edited by roddy; 04-30-2021 at 05:55 PM.
Old 04-30-2021, 07:21 PM
BF Veteran
DonL is on a distinguished road

She looks really good! And the blazer version is actually a trailblazer. Looks like the blazer, but has the plastic molding on the side of the body like an envoy, and a very fancy interior. Rare around here, I see a lot more envoys now. Even a diamond edition for 1900 and knocking engine.

Old 05-03-2021, 03:45 AM
Mods is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by DonL
She looks really good! And the blazer version is actually a trailblazer. Looks like the blazer, but has the plastic molding on the side of the body like an envoy, and a very fancy interior. Rare around here, I see a lot more envoys now. Even a diamond edition for 1900 and knocking engine.
Actually the only special molding is just running boards, which were an Option, all body-color matched same with the anti-scrape strip along the side of the doors.

Old 05-05-2021, 03:12 AM

Envoys were produced 1998, 1999 and 2000.
Diamond Edition produced for 2000 only, I believe. Quite Rare.
Like Envoy the came with factory HID's and Radio controls on wheel (1999 and 2000).
The HID bulb is unique to Envoy and Diamond Edition. No other GM used this HID setup.
GM was developing HID's, before there were industry standards for there construction.
Engineers used same focal measurements same as 9006 halogen bulb.
Bulb looks like a D1 / D2, but it is not! Placing D1 or D2 bulb in housing results in terrible focus.
OEM factory Ballast, igniter and bulb is one assembly, hard wired together with bulb cemented into igniter.
Replacement is only available as kit containing conventional ballast and special bulb with correct focal length, only available from GM. $750 bucks each. There are still 3 or 4 assembly's available Canada, when I checked couple years ago.
When HID fails many swap out the HID's for halogen composite lenses from standard Blazer / Jimmy.
I had one HID fail. It turns out that cheap HID 9006 conversion bulbs are EXACTLY the same focal length as factory HID bulb.
Factory HID igniter / bulb was screwed onto lens housing with torx security head screws.
to make 9006 HID bulbs fit requires cannibalization of factory igniter mounting ring to hold bulb in.
Presto you have working correct focal length HID's that pass inspection. In Canada to pass requires vehicle to be OEM with HID and bulbs must be color temperature of 4300K, same as current OEM bulbs. The various blue colored 5000K, 6000K and 8000K degree bulbs are not legal. Have read that human eye is optimized for 4300 degrees K, The higher you go up the color temperature scale there is less visible light!
Factory HID design replicates halogen North American light dispersal with 10% of the light directed up and to right to light overhead highway signs. So they do not have the sharp cut off that modern European lights do.
Factory HID's are very a well engineered and don't bother oncoming drivers. They light entire road in front uniformly, very well indeed! Hardly use the halogen high beams as they do not add much more distance or brightness (HID's remain on when hi-beams on). Done lots of night driving between Vancouver and Prince George. HID's are very effective with Elk and Moose, as there almost invisible with halogens until your right on top of them. HID light reflects from there fur, compared to halogens where most of the light is absorbed.
Replaced the useless fog lamps with aircraft landing lights. These really do light up the road and very illegal, but they are cheap ($16 bucks).
If police complain and or give vehicle inspection ticket, simple hit of hammer makes you legal. Had Mountie in Quesnel pull u-turn in her crew cab F350 4x4 powestroke unmarked truck with more lights than carter has pills... (took the whole 4 lane road to complete the turn close to Baker Hospital) and pull me over thinking I had aftermarket HID's. She was all set to give me ticket. Even showed her owners manual where it states vehicle has OEM HID's! She stopped me for an hour, trying to find something to give me ticket for. Laugh is she missed the aircraft's. Idiot!

Last edited by roddy; 05-05-2021 at 03:57 AM.