General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

2WD to 4WD

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 03:13 AM
Beginning Member
nadaoriginal84 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 2WD to 4WD

what's goin on poeple? i'm new around here and i just have a question. i bought my blazer about a couple months ago. it's a 92 s10 blazer 2 door with a 4.3 tbi 2wd. i was really lookin for a 4wd suv but i was ok with this one. that was until recently. i really want the 4wd. i was thinking about maybe just converting everything and i know that will be a lot of work. i also realized that i'd be better off just selling this one and buying a 4wd blazer. but i've gone through about 11 cars in 5 years. i'm sick of buying and selling cars. i wanted to stick with this one for a while. if any of you have any suggestions. i've seen blazers for sell cheap that are not street legal and being sold for parts only. i can probably just do that. this is my first blazer and my first suv and the first time tryin to do a job like this so if anyone has any suggestions or tips about this please feel free so say what ever you like.

Old 06-25-2007, 08:06 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: 2WD to 4WD

Simple answer is to buy a 4wd... I believe the frames are quite a bit different between the 2wd & 4wd trucks. Where your truck has a large crossmember up front under the engine, the 4wd trucks have the differential. And then there's the torsion bar mount and the... and...

Sorry to burst your bubble.

Old 06-25-2007, 09:30 AM
BF Veteran
EuroGoldLS is on a distinguished road

You'd have to do about $30,000 worth of modification, but, its possible.... LOL

Old 06-25-2007, 06:51 PM
Blazin_Jason will become famous soon enough

I disagree with you guys. You could put in a solid/straight front axle into that thing. Cost would all depend on what parts you get and how much of the work you can do yourself.

Old 06-25-2007, 07:06 PM
RCars2 is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: Blazin_Jason

I disagree with you guys. You could put in a solid/straight front axle into that thing. Cost would all depend on what parts you get and how much of the work you can do yourself.
I was gonna say the same thing. Wouldnt be that bad to drop a solid front in a blazer. I'm actually planning to do that myself down the road, though granted i already have a 4x4. If nothing else become friends with your local 4x4 shop. Im sure they would be glad to help ya out.

Old 06-25-2007, 09:07 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, so lets say that you don't have a problem with the fab work up front. Just have to know that this isn't an un-bolt and bolt on installation.

Next problem after you have the front axle done up is to get the transmission in order. Atleast with a '92 you've only got to swap the transmission and not really screw around all that much with wiring (and TCCMs) like you would on a newer truck. But to go from a 2wd transmission to a 4wd, you cannot simply bolt on a transfer case. The tail stock will need to be swapped out which I believe pretty much requires the complete disassembly of the case. Now if you were to find a complete 700R4 with a transfer case on it, you could bolt it on. Now you've got to get a different front and rear driveshafts.

Just to fill in some of the details that haven't been brought to light yet.

Old 06-25-2007, 10:28 PM
Beginning Member
nadaoriginal84 is an unknown quantity at this point

thanx guys for the input. i've come to decide that i'm just better off buying a 4wd. the work is not the problem, it's the time and money that will be spent just to do it. i'm just gonna stick with the 2wd for now. i just figured the 4wd would come in handy.