General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

4.3 longevity and blazer reliablity

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 09:18 AM
BF Veteran
EuroGoldLS is on a distinguished road
Default RE: 4.3 longevity and blazer reliablity

ORIGINAL: swartlkk

The head gasket thing is a new one... Intake manifold gaskets yes, but headgaskets???
Yes headgaskets, my head gasket cracked, I got it replaced, and it couldn't have been two weeks later before the one on my dad's K1500 cracked.

Old 05-09-2007, 09:36 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Bad experience by you doesn't make it a wide spread problem...

FWIW, cast iron head and cast iron block make for a very long life head gasket. Over heat a motor once and the integrity of the head gasket is vastly decreased.

Old 05-09-2007, 12:38 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

I dont have any complaints.
Teh only thing unexpected on my '00 was the reaction sun shell in the tranny.
The 4.3L V6 is a very strong and reliable engine, same as a 350/5.7L V8 with 2 pistons removed. GM put it in the S-series truck, 1/2 ton full size pick up trucks,Astro vans, and maybe some other vehicles. Average engine life seems to be in the 190,000-200,000 mile area, although they can life to 300,000 if the rest of the vehicle survives that long.
The 700R4/4L60/4L60E tranny is very reliable for the most part. GM again uses this tranny in numberous vehicles. The S-series, the 1/2 fullsize pick-ups, 1/2 ton fullsize SUV's, Astro vans, Fullsize 1/2 ton vans, Corevette, and numberous other vehicles. One of the best if not the best autotransmission offered by any manufacture.

Like any other vehicle, longevity depends on maintenance and amount of trashing from the owner.

Old 05-09-2007, 03:45 PM
vagnozzi is an unknown quantity at this point

I bought my 01 Jimmy in January and have replaced the oil cooler lines, thermostat, waterpump, and radiator hoses. My current problem is bad fuel spider, which is another 'common' issues on these 4.3 engines. Converting it from SCFI to MPI fixes these issues, but it isn't cheap. I'm in process of doing it right now

Old 05-09-2007, 04:05 PM
BF Veteran
EuroGoldLS is on a distinguished road

ORIGINAL:swartlkk
The head gasket thing is a new one... Intake manifold gaskets yes, but headgaskets???
ORIGINAL: EurogoldLS:
Yes headgaskets, my head gasket cracked, I got it replaced, and it couldn't have been two weeks later before the one on my dad's K1500 cracked.
ORIGINAL:swartlkk
Bad experience by you doesn't make it a wide spread problem...

FWIW, cast iron head and cast iron block make for a very long life head gasket. Over heat a motor once and the integrity of the head gasket is vastly decreased.
Sorry, checked back on it and it was the intake manifold gasket. It was on the repair statement. Mechanic told me it was the head gasket, but I think he meantIntake Manifoldgasket. MY BAD!!!!!

Old 05-10-2007, 05:02 AM
artsound is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: vagnozzi

I bought my 01 Jimmy in January and have replaced the oil cooler lines, thermostat, waterpump, and radiator hoses. My current problem is bad fuel spider, which is another 'common' issues on these 4.3 engines. Converting it from SCFI to MPI fixes these issues, but it isn't cheap. I'm in process of doing it right now
Thanx all for responding-- which years are mpi and which are single point injection?