General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

are 4 wheels faster then 2?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 12:03 AM
Beginning Member
gmc004x4 is on a distinguished road
Default are 4 wheels faster then 2?

if you raced your 4x4 in 4 wheel drive would it be faster then 2? is there more drag on the truck? the gears in the front are the same as the rear. can you make the transfer case all wheel drive like the typhoons. i am just pondering these questions. i know they may sound stupid, but if you do not ask you will never know. if i put 3.73 gears in the front and rear differentials and raced my truck in 4wd wouls it be faster then i 2wd? or would it be faster as an all wheel drive? please don't judge! remember we once thought the world was flat. thanks for any and all help.

Old 11-27-2009, 12:58 AM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

So a lot goes into a truck other than 4wd and 2 wd. But, for the sake of argument lets say both were stock 2002 2 drs, auto trans, with g80 gov-loc posi rear ends.

running in straight 4wd would be SLOWER. 4 lo is all torque no speed, meant to beat its way through a bad situation. 4hi is better, you can get moving but still do not really want to take it up in speed if yyou can help it (i believe 30-40 mphs is what i have read...)

you can get an auto-trac TC and set it to AWD (4 button set up). this will draw power causing the engine to work harder as it is supplying power but not DRIVE to the front until needed. that means the engine is working slightly harder to do the same thing BUT has the option of using the front to drive WITHOUT locking it in (something like that)
so your answers are as follows
faster in 4wd? no
can it be made awd? yes
which is faster? VVV

that being said i could not tell you if a 4wd would be faster than a 2wd if both were in 2wd. you would just have to set em up and run them. too many variables go into an engine and a thousand other parts to determine that.

you CAN do things like change the gearing, weld a posi rear end to make it full time locked (ghetto!) or add a locker to make BOTH rear wheels drive at all time or as needed.
change the engine. upgrade the engine. lighten the truck. and a million other things to make it faster.

Old 11-27-2009, 11:03 AM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABN31B
...that being said i could not tell you if a 4wd would be faster than a 2wd if both were in 2wd. you would just have to set em up and run them...
In that circumstance, the 2wd would be since the 4wd has the extra weight of its components just hanging there doing nothing to help. You can't defeat the laws of physics.

Old 11-27-2009, 11:12 AM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

That and I believe that even when you're in 2Hi, you're still turning parts in the transfer case...

The energy of movement is called Kinetic Energy... turning these moving parts needs kinetic energy, The amount of energy needed to turn those moving parts equals the amount of energy NOT going to the rear wheels.

a 2wd wouldn't have those extra parts, so there would be MORE kinetic energy going to the rear wheels.

make sense? Whether or not it's enough to make that much of a difference is up to debate/testing, you need constants though, like lubes and what not... one truck's oil could cause more friction than the others and what not.

Old 11-28-2009, 12:50 AM
Beginning Member
gmc004x4 is on a distinguished road

i am sorry i must have worded it incorrectly. what i was trying to ask was a 4wd truck faster if it was in 4wd or 2wd? also i was trying to find out if you made the truck all wheel drive would it be faster then 2wd or 4wd. like the gmc typhoons they are all wheel drive. can i make my truck all wheel drive like the typhoon and does anyone have any idea how? sorry guys!!!!

Old 11-28-2009, 01:44 AM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by ABN31B
So a lot goes into a truck other than 4wd and 2 wd. But, for the sake of argument lets say both were stock 2002 2 drs, auto trans, with g80 gov-loc posi rear ends.

running in straight 4wd would be SLOWER. 4 lo is all torque no speed, meant to beat its way through a bad situation. 4hi is better, you can get moving but still do not really want to take it up in speed if yyou can help it (i believe 30-40 mphs is what i have read...)

you can get an auto-trac TC and set it to AWD (4 button set up). this will draw power causing the engine to work harder as it is supplying power but not DRIVE to the front until needed. that means the engine is working slightly harder to do the same thing BUT has the option of using the front to drive WITHOUT locking it in (something like that)
so your answers are as follows
faster in 4wd? no
can it be made awd? yes

which is faster? VVV

that being said i could not tell you if a 4wd would be faster than a 2wd if both were in 2wd. you would just have to set em up and run them. too many variables go into an engine and a thousand other parts to determine that.

you CAN do things like change the gearing, weld a posi rear end to make it full time locked (ghetto!) or add a locker to make BOTH rear wheels drive at all time or as needed.
change the engine. upgrade the engine. lighten the truck. and a million other things to make it faster.
did you read this post?

Old 12-15-2009, 11:22 PM
Beginning Member
rbrace is on a distinguished road

why full time 4wd ?

Old 12-15-2009, 11:35 PM
BF Veteran

because that is what he asked: to see if it would be faster.

Old 12-16-2009, 08:33 AM
BusaJoe is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by gmc004x4
if you raced your 4x4 in 4 wheel drive would it be faster then 2? is there more drag on the truck? the gears in the front are the same as the rear. can you make the transfer case all wheel drive like the typhoons. i am just pondering these questions. i know they may sound stupid, but if you do not ask you will never know. if i put 3.73 gears in the front and rear differentials and raced my truck in 4wd wouls it be faster then i 2wd? or would it be faster as an all wheel drive? please don't judge! remember we once thought the world was flat. thanks for any and all help.
Depends on how deep the mudhole is

Old 12-16-2009, 09:07 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

again, it all depends upon too many variables.

if the ground is covered in s**t like salt/sand or snow, then we all know in 4WD, we'll beat anything across the intersection-so long as it doesn't have 4WD as well as more power. guess that means just about every other 4x4 out there!

and Richard (rriddle3) is right, it comes down to physics, less weight equals quicker times-have you ever watched drag racing? not to many heavy weights in that, are there? don't even start about the big diesel Ram's & Sierra's runnin' crazy times-they're making close to 1000hp/1400lbs-ft. of torque.

besides, the Typhoon's/Syclone's had a different t-case (was more like a center diff), and only had 4HI (AWD).

if you want faster, drop a LS1 in it-or something equivalent-for more power.