General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

4x4 "lock in" mod

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 11:30 PM
Tim Maples is on a distinguished road
Default 4x4 "lock in" mod

Thought I would share a problem I was having and the solution I came up with. "92" S-10 Blazer 4x4, 4.3,automatic w/push button 4wh. When I first started taking it off road I was used to the old style lockin hubs.It took a bit for me to figure out the correct procedure to get the 4x4 to engage. Then I noticed that at times it was engaging and disengaging in the front axle. Started worrying that there was a real problem until I figured out that the front axle was locked in by a vaccum operated controller and that it was letting the front disengage under different engine loads.I added a vacuum canister thinking that would help hold the diaphram valve steady and adjusted the timing to get the most vacuum I could get. Still disengaged at times.So I started looking at a Posilock setup for several hundred dollars.Got me to thinking that I could fab up my own setup to do the same.came up with the idea to use a cable assembly from a small dump truck we used to use that had a fast idle cable kinda like those found in a concrete truck. The **** end could be turned and it would slowly increase the idle. you could also push a button and it would pullout until you released the button to hold or release. It took a little bit of engineering to get the cables linked together and the shift fork in the housing had to retract once the cable was released. An "L" shaped bracket that is spring loaded connects the truck cable and the cable from the old vacuum pot. Getting the cable routed in the right direction was tricky but I finally got it to work right with some trial and error. It would probably been cheaper to just buy the kit, but I like my setup better. Looks good to! I will get some pictures posted when I get a chance. Was wondering if this problem is a common issue ? what was the usual fix?

Old 01-05-2013, 10:29 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

There's actually a write up on this exact subject on this site. Sounds like you did the same thing, replace the vacuum with a locking cable. I've done the same to my '95, it works a lot better than the vacuum system. Go ahead and post pics of it, it's always good to have different view points if someone in the future is thinking of this mod.

Old 01-05-2013, 11:02 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

There is a DIY thread around.. Put posi lock in the search feature and go from there.

Old 01-06-2013, 08:48 AM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

Yup I did it. Pics in my build thread!