General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

98 blazer

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 01:40 PM
Beginning Member
matts98blazer is on a distinguished road
Exclamation 98 blazer

Im new to the forum. Any ways i told my car lot i wanted and looking for a 4x4 Blazer. They went to the auction and got a 98 White 4 door blazer 4x4 ls with 112000 miles on it. I thought that was great for the year. Anyways i stopped by today they where closed i seen it there i took a peek. the interior was trashed like cereal on the floor it had seat covers they haven't had the chance to clean it. I didn't get to start it or any thing yet but i will. with that kind of low miles for the year i might go for it. i will be trading in my 95 mustang gt stock but runs really good. Thought i might stop by here and seen what u guys thank.

Old 01-27-2013, 02:48 PM
Beginning Member
goredawn is on a distinguished road

It will most likely end up with a P1870 code, so I'd look into that first. It can be an easy fix, if it's caught before someone drives it into the pavement. Other than normal things to look for, look for new parts. Oil filter remote lines leaking? things like that. I got mine at 103k, now has 148k 7yrs later and I haven't had any major wear and tear issues, aside from the P1870. I have abused it well enough and broken things, doin things no normal s-10 should do, but it was all in fun and could never be blamed on the Blazer. Give it a good look over, bring in a second opinion, not from the lot, and most likely do it. After all, you have a F**d.

Old 01-27-2013, 03:28 PM
Beginning Member

lol yea im a chevy guy build and race chevy dont ask why i bought the ford but wolnt have it much longer lol. yea i will have a good look over myself they have treated well at this lot i have bought like 5 cars off of them i trust em. they want to put me in a trailblazer to so i have options. I told them to make sure the 4x4 works before i bought it or even looked at it. I have read good thangs about the motor i know there pretty tough motors. im a chevy guy and got to have a chevy as a daily driver no more ford for me. and thanks buy the way i have read about the oils lines i found a quick fix on them to a least its a 98 when they updated the spider injection i have read they go threw ball joints and wheel bearings. thanks by the way

Old 01-27-2013, 03:31 PM
Beginning Member

if its coming up with that code i read its a trans shifting problem i going to pass i dont feel like dealing with the transmission right now in this ohio weather right now.

Old 01-27-2013, 05:45 PM
4x4blazerguy is on a distinguished road

Low mileage Blazer 4x4s are not uncommon. They are cheap. I paid too much for mine last year $3900, with 102,000 miles.
Buy it cheap like $2500 or less. You will end up with repairs without a doubt. heater cores, fuel pumps, LIM gaskets are all about due in the early 100,000 mile area. If the interior isn't cherry then I wouldn't give over $1500.
I see them on the west coast for $1500-$3500 in good shape with 115-150,000 miles.

Old 01-27-2013, 06:56 PM
Beginning Member

Really yea I know they wll charge me a lot more for it than that. I'm kinda shying away from it I might take him up on a 2002 trailblazer instead I mean I really like he blazer but I'm not trying to be making payments on somethang that I going to be rippimg out transmissions or doing fuel pumps in I know the motors ae good what's worrying me is the whole transmission deal.

Yeah I already know about G.M. and thre intake gaskets done one on a buick rendezvous. I'm not really worred about fuel pumps and intake gaskets tha I am with the transmission.

Old 01-27-2013, 11:50 PM
Beginning Member
goredawn is on a distinguished road

I have ddriven a 2006 trailblazer quite a bit. Garbage. The s-10 is nice, and owning one, I would still buy one again, but personally want the truck, ext cab, manual, but only for different purposes. LOVE my 98 Blazer, with all it's doubters. Any car needs maintained. The tranny tcc valve issue isnt that bad imo, just important to know about. At least your getting out of the other car right? I wouldn't trade mine for yours

Old 01-28-2013, 04:45 PM
Beginning Member

well my mustang is a nice car. 5.0 5 speed yellow with black shidoa package. but need some thang 4x4. hes detailing the car right now as we speak. he said it runs great and will have his garage look at or if any check engine lights. his mechanic said there easy to do if i have a peolblem buy the part he would install it or he said there not that hard to do. like i said i am building a 406ci 86 iroc z camaro on n.o.s so i have the tools to do it tho really. but thanks for the opinions i really appreciate it. and hearing you say you wouldn't trade yours for my car helped a little lol. and my father bout killed me bringing over a ford lol hes die hard chevy.

Old 01-28-2013, 04:45 PM
Beginning Member

do you have a site to but the reapir kit for that transmission i want to buy one to have it ya know

Old 01-28-2013, 05:36 PM
4x4blazerguy is on a distinguished road
Smile

Originally Posted by matts98blazer
Really yea I know they wll charge me a lot more for it than that. I'm kinda shying away from it I might take him up on a 2002 trailblazer instead I mean I really like he blazer but I'm not trying to be making payments on somethang that I going to be rippimg out transmissions or doing fuel pumps in I know the motors ae good what's worrying me is the whole transmission deal.

Yeah I already know about G.M. and thre intake gaskets done one on a buick rendezvous. I'm not really worred about fuel pumps and intake gaskets tha I am with the transmission.
The 02 Trailblazer was a problems child. Lots of engine issues. We owned an 04 that was OK, But awful off-road, because of low body panels. I tore both bumper up bad on our 04 Trailblazer. If you go on a Trailblazer forum you will see about the 2002. I loved the part where the Trailblazer fan clutches are computer run so to replace one was $450 for the fan clutch. Then add labor or do it yourself.
If you want a Blazer start looking on Craigslist. Sell your Mustang on Craigslist or Ebay.
Unless you have dealer that is a friend or something that might work to your advantage OK. But most dealers are trying to retire on every sale.

Last edited by 4x4blazerguy; 01-28-2013 at 05:39 PM.