General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

99 Blazer ECG Valve question

Old 02-26-2008, 02:52 PM
Thorpie86 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 99 Blazer ECG Valve question

I was wondering if driving with a broken ECG Valve will damage my vehicle. I have to wait until I get my next check to get a new one. I was basically wondering if I would be able to drive with it now, without seriously damaging my blazer, or if I should just park it until I can get it fixed.

Old 02-26-2008, 03:22 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: 99 Blazer ECG Valve question

Do you mean EGR valve? If so, how have you determined that it is broken? The most common problem with EGR valves on these engines is carbon chunks holding them open. Something that can be fixed with some sensor safe carbon cleaner, a new gasket, and a little bit of time.

Old 02-26-2008, 03:38 PM
Thorpie86 is an unknown quantity at this point

im pretty sure it's an ECG valve, i think it has something to do with the emissions control.

Old 02-26-2008, 03:49 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

EGR == Exhaust Gas Recirculation.

The EGR valve is an emissions device which allows exhaust gases back into the intake path to cool the combustion process and reduce the formation of NOx (oxides of nitrogen), a greenhouse gas.

I can find no reference to an ECG valve...

Old 02-26-2008, 05:42 PM
wesmagyar is an unknown quantity at this point

well im curious as to the answer too. i have an 87 s10 blazer and i know my EGR valve is pretty dead. ive vacume cleaned it twice and cleaned it out with the cleaning fluid recommended and whenever i get going over 45 mph the service engine light comes on... and the code is EGR valve. so im sure it needs replacing. so can it damage the engine driving without it or does it just mess with MPG and emissions?
-Wes-

Old 02-26-2008, 06:20 PM
Administrator

Wes, on your '87, the EGR valve is controlled by engine vacuum and as such, it could be a bad vacuum switch or a bad vacuum diaphram on the valve itself that is causing your problem.

This is a completely different setup from the electronic valves used on the newer trucks.