General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

ac not cold

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 06:21 PM
mogley99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ac not cold

ok guys, i just got my blazer this winter and tried the ac just the other day and it is not cold at all. i ve seen these do it yourself ac fillups, are they easy to do or is it easier to get it done by a auto shop. thanks.

Old 05-06-2007, 05:35 AM
Administrator
hillbillyinOhio has disabled reputation
Default RE: ac not cold

pretty easy to do, but you have to have a way to reclaim the old stuff. better for a shop to do it.

Old 05-06-2007, 11:18 AM
Easy 8 is an unknown quantity at this point

I just had my A/C overhalled. New compressor, hoses, & freon. The previuos owner had mixed R12 w/ R134, and that had caused all sorts of problems. the job cost a bit over $1000 (So Cal), but it blows VERY cold. If all your components are intact, you probably only need freon. A shop can tell you if you already run R134 or need to convert.

Old 05-06-2007, 05:06 PM
Starting Member
woodsballr is an unknown quantity at this point

well if u know what coolant is in your compressor then you should be able to go down to Advance or wherever and get a recharge kit. i recharged mine but it doesnt hardly work. course thats cuz the compressor is busted and i dont wanna bother to fix it cuz i just roll the windows down. as far as reclaimingthe oldstuffif you are not a very moral or ethical person you could just release it into the atmosphere.I DONT RECOMMEND ITat all plus its illegal. i think you only need to reclaim the old stuff if its actually the really old sutff and not the new formula otherwise just top it off.

Old 05-07-2007, 02:52 PM
mogley99 is an unknown quantity at this point

so how do you reclaim the old stuff? is the something you buy for it. i bought this 99 in feb. so i dont know what kind of stuff they used , i would think the newer stuff, is there a way to find out by taking it somewhere?

Old 05-07-2007, 03:10 PM
BobTheBlazer will become famous soon enough

If it's a '99 it more than likely already has R-134...and shops have a machine that sucks out all the old freon and disposes of it properly. Not just that but they'll also remove all air and moisture in your lines, which is essential. Don't release it yourself please, very bad for the environment. (Yeah, I'm one of those hippie tree-hugger types!)

Also, a shop will be able to tell you if one of your lines has a leak, thus explaining your loss of freon.

Old 05-27-2007, 06:14 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If you are just topping off the refrigerant, then you simply follow the directions provided with the recharge kit. Depending on the state of your A/C system, you may have to supply power and ground to the A/C compressor clutch to lock the compressor on during the recharge procedure.

And there is no doubt that your system is R134a refrigerant. Any car past '94 (IIRC) was required to be R134a. Part of the miscommunication in this thread is the fact that we had to guess at what you were driving. Please put your vehicle information into your signature (available through your profile) and attach it to all of your posts. This will help us give you clear and accurate information for your vehicle/situation.