General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Admitting Defeat

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 07:23 PM
lombard is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Admitting Defeat

For the first time, I've had to completely admit defeat on a project. Set aside the day to install a transmission cooler, drain the transmission fluid, and replace the filter. Planning a cross country trip (Florida to Minnesota) next week and I'm trailering a small enclosed U-Haul back. Figured now was a good time to make sure the tranny was up to it.

Transmission cooler install went relatively well. I got stumped when I tried to drop the transmission pan to drain the fluid and replace the filter. Read quite a few posts regarding this and somehow hoped that I wouldn't have any interference dropping the pan (I've got a 2000 2dr 4x4). No idea how I convinced myself of this, guess I'm an optimist.

Anyway, it started out bad. One of the bolts broke off. The rest of them came out nice and easy, as expected. Figured once I had the pan clear, I'd work on the broken bolt. But then, of course, I couldn't get the pan to drop and couldn't seem to break free the transmission cross member...everything seems pretty well rusted together.

After a couple of hours, I admitted defeat. Called a shop a few miles from me. I'm piecing everything back together now to limp it in on Friday morning. Hopefully with the better access provided by a lift, plus a little more experience they'll be able to get me going on schedule.

Old 05-29-2012, 07:54 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

sometimes in life knowing when to call in reinforcements is a strength....not a weakness.

like you i do what i can or at least try...sometimes though i know that my limits are my limits for a reason.

Old 05-29-2012, 08:17 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

Sounds like my typical day working on mine.

Just so you know next time,on my 91 4x4,i removed the bolts for the trans mount and jacked up the trans a few inches,it let me have enough room to wiggle the pan out.