General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Amsoil or Royal Purple?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 03:20 PM
ComputerNerdBD is on a distinguished road
Default Amsoil or Royal Purple?

Which is better for engine life? Amsoil or Royal Purple? I have Royal Purple in it now. I was actually leaning toward Amsoil. Not trying to start a fight. I got to change the oil later because I might not have the time to do it for the next 2 weeks. Thanks.

Old 06-11-2010, 04:11 PM
Beginning Member
Mikek1500 is on a distinguished road

Not to start an arguement here, but to give a little insight. My current Blazer has always had either a synthetic blend or full synthetic in it since about 43,000 miles. It now currently has 110,000. When I had to replace my Intake Gasket last month, I was totally suprised at how clean the block was. After working on V8's with less mileage and seeing the mess regular oils leave, that makes me a believer in using either semi-synthetic or full synthetic.

Old 06-11-2010, 04:16 PM
CNYCountryKidd is on a distinguished road

Royal purple for DD unless you plan on making a race truck with it. Then Amsoil all the way. But yeah RP is better for DD and weekend trail trips. Also cheaper. I run RP in mine and it does just fine for having 190k on it.

Old 06-11-2010, 04:17 PM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

I've used royal purple and it seemed to work good. I got tired of spending so much money on oil. I used castrol sintec now I didn't notice any difference between the two

Old 06-11-2010, 04:42 PM
CNYCountryKidd is on a distinguished road

I read or heard somewhere I can't remember which (bad memory).. that castrol isn't all that great of an oil. I'll try and see if it's online somewhere to confirm.

EDIT: Nope it's Mobil 1 I was told about being bad despite everyone's opinions of it.

Old 06-11-2010, 05:22 PM
84BlazerS10 is on a distinguished road

Yeah, I've heard some bad things about mobil 1 but I run Castrol GTX personally.

Old 06-11-2010, 05:31 PM
BF Veteran

I don't think you need to spend that much money on oil for your blazer. most synthetics will do the trick.

Old 06-11-2010, 06:56 PM

Well it seems that is is settled. The truck is a daily driver, but it is basically my "do everything" truck. I mainly do long stretches of high speed driving or driving in small towns but I also go camping with it, I take it in the snow, some light offroading if needed, sometimes I have passengers (but very rare), etc. I would actually hate to drive anything else and I want the truck to last at least past 200k all original if possible. Royal Purple to stay then. Actually, getting Royal Purple and a Napa Gold filter is actually cheaper than going to a shop and getting no-name high mileage oil and a cheap filter put in. When I have a choice, and it is easy enough to do, I would do stuff myself if it means using higher quality materials and making the truck last longer. I did have a little bit of lifter tick on startup (and until it warms up a bit if I drive it when it is cold (within the first 2 minutes)(VERY RARE would I do that))when it was cold and it seems that the Royal Purple reduced the chance of it happening. Only if the car was sitting for 2 days in cold, wet weather would it happen. It might still make a little more noise if I drive it when it is cold, but it seems to be working to quiet it down. Before I switched to Royal Purple, I used conventional with Lucas Oil Stabilizer. THAT added to the expense of oil changes considerably. I didn't use it with Royal Purple because I wanted to experiment how good it worked without Lucas. The engine seems to run a little quieter now. I still however, let it warm up for 5 minutes whenever I start it up. If, however it is an emergency, I still let it idle for at least 1-2 minutes unless I have to get out of there in a hurry.

Old 06-11-2010, 07:27 PM
BF Veteran

I have been using k&n oil filters

Old 06-11-2010, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by Benedict1337
I have been using k&n oil filters
I would use K&Ns, but I don't have the wrench large enough to remove it and also the extra cost of them is pointless because I don't run with the same oil for 5000-10000 miles. I use Napa Gold filters. I heard Napa filters were good, I went to Napa Auto parts, asked for an oil filter for this truck and that is what they gave me. It works very well. Alot better then the Fram Toughgard I originally put on there (after hearing the horror stories and the oil pressure reduction and delay on startup, I replaced it immediately. )

Quick Reply: Amsoil or Royal Purple?