General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Another Blazer Rear Ended While Parked

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2024, 03:41 AM
Beginning Member
metallicats33 is on a distinguished road
Default Another Blazer Rear Ended While Parked

History Repeating itself...
Back in 2007 I bought my first Blazer (1999 2 Door) Owned it until it was rear ended while parked in 2013. The Insurance totaled it out and I ended up having to send it to the Junk Yard since there was no option to take the payout without a Salvage Title.
In 2019 I purchased another Blazer (2001 4 Door 4x4) and yesterday it was rear ended while parked

Luckily the damage seems to be mostly to the Bumper/Fender extension, The bumper might be pushed in a bit but I'm not concerned about any of that, I am concerned about the drivetrain though. It was in park and the parking brake was not engaged cause the ratchet stopped working on the pedal awhile back. What's the possibility that anything got damaged? I got under it and looked for any visible damage, the park pawl still seems to be in one piece as it still goes into park. It shifts through all gears as well as it did before and I verified the 4x4 still functions. Frame looks okay from what I could see and the suspension doesn't seem to have shifted. I didn't want to get insurance involved since I didn't want to risk a salvage title again so we settled for under my states legal limit (here in CA if damages are over a certain $$ amount it has to be reported) and she went on here way. TBH, her truck probably was over the limit, that bumper folded up into the fender like paper.

I'm just curious if anyone has been through this and if I should look out for anything? My 99 was hit much harder and ran fine for the month I drove it before I had to give it up to the Junk Yard. I also wasn't concerned since I knew it was going to the junk yard so I might not have noticed anything minor and also the parking brake was set on that one when it got hit so that might make a difference??

Attached is a gif of the hit and a picture of the damage, I'll also attach a pic of my Blue 99' for comparison of how much harder the 99' was hit in comparison to the 01'

Thanks in advance for any input/help