General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

The Antilocks, THEY DO NOTHING!

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 05:50 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TFisher
That's exactly what happens, but I really didn't think any skid was to happen at all on an ABS system...
Remember this part:
Originally Posted by rriddle3
Here's another way to look at it:
Brakes don't stop a vehicle, they only slow it down. Tires (and bridge supports) are what stops a vehicle.
What type tires do you have, how many miles on them, and what condition are they in?

Old 12-22-2009, 06:29 PM
Starting Member
Buschkj24 is on a distinguished road

i know you are not supposed to "pump" abs, but when i was 16, the cars that i could afford did not have abs and in wisconsin we have winter about 5 months out of the year, but when my blazer's abs starts to kick in, i let off the brake some and reapply the brakes to the point of just before the abs kicks in and i find that my truck stops a lot quicker that way. when the abs is activated, the wheel will lock and unlock. when the tires are locked from the brakes, the friction on the road is lost, then when the tires unlock friction is regained. so in other words, abs in the winter means slide, coast, slide, coast...ect when the abs is being activated. steady light braking will stop you quicker because the friction on the tires is still being achieved because when you lock up friction is lost causing you to slide.

Old 12-23-2009, 06:41 PM
Starting Member
chiefum is on a distinguished road

I've never been a fan of abs...........I've always had problems with them.....to me they are just a pain in the ***.......same with child safety rear windows on cars......that always pissed me off too.........LoL.

Old 12-23-2009, 06:59 PM
Banned
TFisher is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by chiefum
I've never been a fan of abs...........I've always had problems with them.....to me they are just a pain in the ***.......same with child safety rear windows on cars......that always pissed me off too.........LoL.
I think I know what you mean by safety windows, let's see if we are on the same page:
My aunt had this STUPID CAR that all the passenger windows would only go HALF WAY DOWN!!! AHH!!!! I HATED THAT SO MUCH!!!! I only ever saw that on a few model years. I guess somebody realized what a freakin' stupid idea that was.

Regards,

Thomas

Old 12-23-2009, 09:08 PM
Starting Member
chiefum is on a distinguished road

I think I know what you mean by safety windows, let's see if we are on the same page:
My aunt had this STUPID CAR that all the passenger windows would only go HALF WAY DOWN!!! AHH!!!! I HATED THAT SO MUCH!!!! I only ever saw that on a few model years. I guess somebody realized what a freakin' stupid idea that was.

Regards,

Thomas
Yep.........those are the windows I was talking about.......

Old 12-24-2009, 07:21 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by rriddle3
What type tires do you have, how many miles on them, and what condition are they in?
The one that does it the worst is my mom's Silverado, and it has brand new Bridgestones on it, but they REALLY suck. That thing is all over the road, you can't takeoff, turn or stop without chirping them. When you turn, the tread rolls under the tire. I really don't think they are safe, but huge tires aren't cheap. What do y'all think?

Regards,

Thomas

Old 01-01-2010, 07:29 PM
Beginning Member
mxboy96 is on a distinguished road

I've had similiar experiences. I've ran 2 red lights and came 20ft. from getting made into the bumper of a 55ft Peterbuilt rig. Excuse my French, but **** antilock brakes. Mine just completely kick my brakes out and don't even let the brakes engage. True they may help with steering, but if you know how to drive on ice/packed snow, you don't need them. You don't 'mash' the brakes, you lightly ride them. If they lock, you let up, possibly straighten if you started goin sideways, and reapply pressure. I would much rather them lock up and have a little braking power than none at all...which just happens to be my case Sorry for the language again, but that's how I feel about them. Anyone by chance know how to disengage ABS? Just curious

Old 01-01-2010, 07:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mxboy96
I've had similiar experiences. I've ran 2 red lights and came 20ft. from getting made into the bumper of a 55ft Peterbuilt rig. Excuse my French, but **** antilock brakes. Mine just completely kick my brakes out and don't even let the brakes engage. True they may help with steering, but if you know how to drive on ice/packed snow, you don't need them. You don't 'mash' the brakes, you lightly ride them. If they lock, you let up, possibly straighten if you started goin sideways, and reapply pressure. I would much rather them lock up and have a little braking power than none at all...which just happens to be my case Sorry for the language again, but that's how I feel about them. Anyone by chance know how to disengage ABS? Just curious
All you gots to do is pull the fuse from the under-hood fuse center (Its one of the giant ones.). I don't like how the ABS does on snow and ice, but I do know that it helps A LOT on dry pavement. On the dry the ABS has saved me from more collisions than I care to count. I have just learned from my experience in the snow that I'd better be able to spot a way out if things get hairy.

Regards,

Thomas

Old 01-02-2010, 08:53 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by mxboy96
.... Sorry for the language again, but that's how I feel about them. Anyone by chance know how to disengage ABS? Just curious
Keep in mind swearing and foul language is against the forum rules.

All you gots to do is pull the fuse from the under-hood fuse center (Its one of the giant ones.). ...
And be aware that if you do pull the ABS fuse (it's a 60 amp under the hood in the fuse box if you're is a 98+ if it's pre 98 I believe it's in the drivers side dash fuse box) that it will throw on your ABS and brake warning lights. This will probably fail inspection (if you have them in your state).

ABS isn't really necessary if you know how to drive and you drive responsibly. Driving like an idiot and not taking your time in the snow and ice are what cause the accidents and create the need for ABS. It is a great feature on vehicles IMO. I personally don't have ABS right now since I have a bad wheel speed sensor, but I take my time and drive responsibly in the ice and snow and don't have any problems at all.

Last edited by Sisk; 01-02-2010 at 08:56 AM.
Old 01-02-2010, 07:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sisk
I personally don't have ABS right now since I have a bad wheel speed sensor, but I take my time and drive responsibly in the ice and snow and don't have any problems at all.
You are playing a dangerous game. ABS works because the computer isn't distracted by the jerk in front of you. ABS works because when milliseconds count, the computer reacts in nanoseconds. ABS works because it isn't trying to drive, look ahead and feather the brake pedal at the same time.

Bottom line:
ABS WORKS

Don't crash your Blazer, that's how we lost our '74 Cheyenne, you CANT react in less than 10 feet, ABS can. Your brain can't handle feathering the pedal while steering, but it can just smash the pedal and concentrate on guidance. Seriously dude, get that fixed asap. Maybe not on the ice, but on the dry and on the wet, ABS will save you.
Back during the fall semester, I was coming home. I was merging onto 15 South everyone in front of me was screaming down the onramp with WOT, so I smash it and start looking for a hole to merge, I look forward and everyone is stopped dead. It was wet out. I slammed on the brakes, the ABS came on and stopped me from almost 50 MPH in the blink of an eye and just in time.

Regards,

Thomas

Quick Reply: The Antilocks, THEY DO NOTHING!