General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Anyone else run high octane gas?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 09:51 AM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about
Default Anyone else run high octane gas?

I normally wouldnt as it usually for something like we drive wouldnt make a difference,but with the mods ive done ive noticed a good difference with it. Ive done :

Ultimate tbi mods
quarter mod
Exhaust
v power plugs
msd coil
k&n filter old school round filter
Timing is advanced as far as i can get it without pre-det

Next is efan and maybe a mail order tune

Between the 2000 stall and 3.42 gears with the 700r4's decent gearing and cutting a 1,000 pounds out of the blazer Its a fun blazer to drive.

Anyways,i found a gas station that has ethanol free 93 octane for 3.29 a gallon. Ive been running it for about a week. Love it! il run it until gas prices go back up.

Old 11-20-2011, 09:57 AM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

yesterday i put 87 in my truck

I went for a long trip to the mall for some Christmas shopping and i was getting 19.6 highway and 18 city

Im happy if i hit 20 mpg highway with my 31s =P

Old 11-20-2011, 10:44 AM
Beginning Member
matt94 is on a distinguished road

Only if the gas station runs out of 87 octane lol

Old 11-20-2011, 01:37 PM
Brian_D will become famous soon enoughBrian_D will become famous soon enough

I havent moded the motor at all yet so no.

Old 11-21-2011, 01:28 AM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

Unless you increase the compression, there really is no benefit to using higher octane fuel.

You stated you advanced your timing? Just curios as to how you did this without the computer resetting it to stock?

Old 11-21-2011, 07:01 AM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

I've been keeping track of my gas mileage for about 5 years now and I consistently get about 2-3 more mpg with 89 than 87. 93 gives me the same mileage as 89 though. So for roughly $1.50 more per fill-up, I get 30-45 more miles out of a tank with 89 than I do with 87.

Old 11-21-2011, 08:14 AM
tibby has a spectacular aura abouttibby has a spectacular aura about
Default .

I put in premium from time to time when I find some really cheap gas. But I don't have a tune so it's useless really. If I found ethanol-free gas for the same price heck yeah I'd use it lol. Although in Concord, since we are near a race track, they had racing gas, 105 octane I think. I contemplated putting some of that baby in thur! But I was like uhhhh.... no. They can go screw themselves for $5.00 A GALLON. No thankey you.

Old 11-21-2011, 08:35 AM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by tibby
I put in premium from time to time when I find some really cheap gas. But I don't have a tune so it's useless really. If I found ethanol-free gas for the same price heck yeah I'd use it lol. Although in Concord, since we are near a race track, they had racing gas, 105 octane I think. I contemplated putting some of that baby in thur! But I was like uhhhh.... no. They can go screw themselves for $5.00 A GALLON. No thankey you.
Everybody should bear in mind if you use really high octane, like 105, the stuff is still burning when the exhaust valve opens, asking for trouble big time... but hey.. it's your money .. if you need an excuse for a valve job, that ought to do it.

Old 11-21-2011, 09:08 PM
zr2dan is on a distinguished road

i used to get aviation fuel from the local airport 115 octane i ran it in the old 93 1500 made it run like a raped ape but anyway i always run high octane gas in my blazer but with the supercharger i think it runs better under pressure

Last edited by zr2dan; 11-21-2011 at 09:12 PM.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:30 PM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough

Regular for me in the 2 jimmy's however the Volvo S60R requires premium. (S60 R is a High Performance Volvo made from 04-07)

Quick Reply: Anyone else run high octane gas?