General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

anyone where i can get more of these

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 05:22 PM
Starting Member
JavierEscalonJr is on a distinguished road
Cool anyone where i can get more of these

i don't know if i put this in the wrong place but i'm looking to put a tire carrier on my 4 door but i wnat to use these

but i only have 4 of them any one know what there called and where to get them i tried ace hardware and autozone but no ones seen them before.

They look like big molly bolts to me i've used to put a ladder rack on my dads pickup but he doesn't remember where he got them.
thanks

p.s. this site is great really helpful

Attached Thumbnails anyone where i can get more of these-wp_000137_zps989bd2a8.jpg  
Old 06-25-2013, 08:01 PM
WitchingHour is an unknown quantity at this point

Those are commonly called nutserts... Or threaded inserts.... There's a more "formal" name that I can't think if offhand. Here, we typically get them from Layton Truck Equipment and Fastenal. I'd imagine NAPA would have them, as well.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:17 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

I would be skeptical using those to hold a tire rack on! They will only be fastening to thin sheet metal and without something to spread the weight out I would worry they will pull through your body panel. Remember a tire carrier alone is heavy then add the weight of a rim and tire plus the additional leverage when it's swung open and your looking at the potential for a couple hundred pounds of force pulling on them. I really like your thoughts on it but this is just one of those areas where I think it's way worth the extra effort and time to do it right check out my build thread for another idea I just finished installing mine.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:29 PM
Starting Member
Cool

Originally Posted by WitchingHour
Those are commonly called nutserts... Or threaded inserts.... There's a more "formal" name that I can't think if offhand. Here, we typically get them from Layton Truck Equipment and Fastenal. I'd imagine NAPA would have them, as well.
thanks i never knew the name i would've went to my local fastenal but it was closed but these expand like drywall molly bolts i had like 12 but used most to install a ladder rack on my dads pick up

Originally Posted by rexmburns
I would be skeptical using those to hold a tire rack on! They will only be fastening to thin sheet metal and without something to spread the weight out I would worry they will pull through your body panel. Remember a tire carrier alone is heavy then add the weight of a rim and tire plus the additional leverage when it's swung open and your looking at the potential for a couple hundred pounds of force pulling on them. I really like your thoughts on it but this is just one of those areas where I think it's way worth the extra effort and time to do it right check out my build thread for another idea I just finished installing mine.
i was going to put about quater inch steel plate behind the panel, your thread inspired me to do it, hopefully the guy on craigslist still has the carrier, i choose to go with these because my welding skills SUCK

Last edited by JavierEscalonJr; 06-25-2013 at 08:42 PM.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:43 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

Ok good glad to hear you are putting something to reinforce it. I used 3/16 on mine and I have tried unsuccessfully to get my quarter panel to flex lol. You can pick up the steel really cheap in the hardware dept at homedepot that's where I got mine from.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:50 PM
rexazz2 will become famous soon enough

Napa has a lot of body fasteners in their body shop supply

If you are going inside the panel anyhow to put in a plate I would likely just use a standard nut or nylon lock nut

I would also get a tube of panel adhesive (Napa) to bond the plate in place

Old 06-25-2013, 08:54 PM
Starting Member

good idea with the adhesive, there's a place here in dayton where i can get metal cheap like 3"x48" 1/4" thick for about 8 bucks

Old 06-25-2013, 08:55 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by rexazz2
I would also get a tube of panel adhesive (Napa) to bond the plate in place
Man I wish I woulda thought of that!!!

Old 06-26-2013, 12:45 PM
Diaita will become famous soon enough

I used Sikaflex to seal and bond the hinge to the rear quarter. Only problem I see with it, is that it will most likely trash the paint IF I can ever get it off again.