General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Axle swap questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 02:47 PM
Starting Member
dragoon1101 is on a distinguished road
Default Axle swap questions

He guys I need some questions answered I have a 96 s10 2dr Blazer and I just bought a ZR2 rear end for it my rear now is a drum brake axle and the ZR2 is a disk brake what I need to know is what is needed to complete the swap so I can get it before I start you help is much appreciated 😊

P.S. : both rear ends are 3.73 gear ratio THANKS

Old 04-29-2017, 07:17 AM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

I am 98% sure the zr2 axle is too wide for your 2door.
I am sure someone will chime in since I do not know second gens that well.

Old 04-29-2017, 04:24 PM
Rusty Nuts is on a distinguished road

I can fill in the 2% for you. Stock width is 59-59.5 inches, measured from wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface. Zr2 axles are 63 inches. Spring perches are the same so it will bolt in but it pushes your wheels out 2" on each side.

Old 04-30-2017, 11:27 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by Rusty Nuts
I can fill in the 2% for you. Stock width is 59-59.5 inches, measured from wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface. Zr2 axles are 63 inches. Spring perches are the same so it will bolt in but it pushes your wheels out 2" on each side.

so it will fit do I have to replace the parking brake lines or can I use my old ones (someone cut the ones on the ZR2 axle) and will I need to change something on the brake lines to adapt it to mine or will they screw right into the ZR2 brake lines?

Old 04-30-2017, 05:20 PM
Rusty Nuts is on a distinguished road

I did not use the word "fit". I claimed it will bolt to the spring perches without modification. I've personally measured that after reading conflicting info when I researched this swap 2 years ago. Then I got into the possibility of the larger axle housing making the existing driveshaft too long. I never measured that or investigated swapping zr2 disc brakes for non zr2 discs. With your rear being drums, I don't know if just a proportioning valve can redirect enough fluid to operate your rear calipers. Or if a different master cylinder and larger rear lines are required.

I wound up just replacing all the gears, bearings, and seals in my 7.625 because at the time I needed an accurate cost and time for the project.

Old 05-01-2017, 10:19 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by Rusty Nuts
I did not use the word "fit". I claimed it will bolt to the spring perches without modification. I've personally measured that after reading conflicting info when I researched this swap 2 years ago. Then I got into the possibility of the larger axle housing making the existing driveshaft too long. I never measured that or investigated swapping zr2 disc brakes for non zr2 discs. With your rear being drums, I don't know if just a proportioning valve can redirect enough fluid to operate your rear calipers. Or if a different master cylinder and larger rear lines are required.

I wound up just replacing all the gears, bearings, and seals in my 7.625 because at the time I needed an accurate cost and time for the project.
I'm not worried about the 2" wider on each side and I can get the rear driveline from the guy if need be I just need the parking brake and brake line info so if I need that stuff I can get it....

Old 05-01-2017, 01:41 PM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

I have swapped a ZR2 axle under both my old 4x4 Blazer and my 4x4 Sonoma. It will fit and if you have factory tires you will not have any issues rubbing. On my Blazer I went from the factory drums to the discs that came with the ZR2 axle with no issues whatsoever. Braking was significantly improved. You will need to use ZR2 brake lines though because the axle is wider, your old lines won't fit properly.

Old 05-02-2017, 08:31 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by El_Beautor
I have swapped a ZR2 axle under both my old 4x4 Blazer and my 4x4 Sonoma. It will fit and if you have factory tires you will not have any issues rubbing. On my Blazer I went from the factory drums to the discs that came with the ZR2 axle with no issues whatsoever. Braking was significantly improved. You will need to use ZR2 brake lines though because the axle is wider, your old lines won't fit properly.
​​​​​​

What did you do about the parking brake and I have the lines on the ZR2 axle already I just need to replace the little junction block and did you have to swap the driveline

Old 05-02-2017, 09:15 AM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

You'll need to get the newer parking brake cables. The drum cables have a different end on them and are not compatible with the disc brake setup. I'd suggest just getting new ones. Highly likely that the cables from the donor car will be too rusted to be used.

As for the drive shaft, mine bolted right up. No modifications needed.

Old 05-02-2017, 10:21 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by El_Beautor
You'll need to get the newer parking brake cables. The drum cables have a different end on them and are not compatible with the disc brake setup. I'd suggest just getting new ones. Highly likely that the cables from the donor car will be too rusted to be used.

As for the drive shaft, mine bolted right up. No modifications needed.

Thanks the guy got the actual from cut the old cables anyways so I'll order them up much appreciated now I don't have to twiddle my thumbs anymore