General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Bellhousing bolt wtf

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 12:49 PM
R2P
Starting Member
R2P is on a distinguished road
Default Bellhousing bolt wtf

I'm trying to remove my engine but I'm having issues with one bellhousing bolt. It's the one on the top of the bellhousing, an inch or so to the drivers side from the fuel lines. It seems like the wrench is hitting the fuel lines when i try to turn it and coming off.

For those of you that have pulled a 4.3L before, how did you get this bolt out? Pulling the trans out with the engine seems like a lot of work just because I can't get one stinkin bolt.

Old 10-19-2010, 04:29 PM
packofqtips is an unknown quantity at this point

under the truck with a long extension
it also helps if the transmission crossmember is removed and you lower the trannie with a floor jack

Old 10-21-2010, 09:11 PM
Beginning Member
hemivette is on a distinguished road

I haven't done the engine, but I did my tranny, and there was no way to get to a couple of bolts without the crossmember and drivelines gone. I guess at that point, I think I would just pull the transfercase, and take the motor and tranny out together. Good luck!

Old 12-12-2010, 05:12 PM
Eagle joe is on a distinguished road

HUh, I am in the same place on my 2000 chevy blazer. Rear frost plug went out and I am trying to pull the engine and not the tranny. How many blots are there for me to look for? and did you have to remove the distributor to get to the top bolts?

Old 12-13-2010, 08:29 AM
Beginning Member
hemivette is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Eagle joe
HUh, I am in the same place on my 2000 chevy blazer. Rear frost plug went out and I am trying to pull the engine and not the tranny. How many blots are there for me to look for? and did you have to remove the distributor to get to the top bolts?
If I remember right, there are 8 bolts on bellhousing, and 3 on torque converter, wich have to be accessed through starter opening. I know you dont want to pull the tranny, but when I did mine, there really wasn't anyway to reach some of those bolts without dropping the crossmember and transfer case, and use at least a 2 foot extension. You may be able to reach the bolts if you have someone with small hands and arms, mine aren't. I spent about 3 hours trying to get to those bolts, and still had to pull eveything wich took less than an hour. Technically if you disconnect
the crossmember and transfercase and undo your motor mounts, you should be able to lift the motor and move it forward enough to access your freezeplug without even disconnecting the tanny or even pulling it all out. That should save alot of time. Hope this has helped. Good luck!

Old 12-13-2010, 04:34 PM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by packofqtips
under the truck with a long extension
it also helps if the transmission crossmember is removed and you lower the trannie with a floor jack
Ditto, that and #3 spark plug the only things I have used my 36inch 3/8 extention for.

Old 12-13-2010, 05:00 PM
chevytruckdood is on a distinguished road

yeah i have a 3 foot extension i used and made this job easy.......... and we actually jacked up the front of the motor and it made it alot easier and had a tranny jack under truck.......