General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Better mpg

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 11:32 PM
Rww
Beginning Member
Rww is on a distinguished road
Default Better mpg

Hi guys I have a 2001 chevy blazer 4X4 I'm currently getting 14.1 mpg I have an inch wider tires than stock and was wondering how to approve my mpg
Thank you!

Old 08-12-2014, 01:28 AM
LeWhite will become famous soon enough

Decrease weight; decrease aero restance; decrease rolling resistance. Remove unnecessary vehicle equipment; lowering vehicle as well as removing protrudances such as roof racks, baskets and spotlights outside of body silhouette. Narrower and lighter wheels and tires; brakes that dont drag with correct alignment.

Last edited by LeWhite; 08-12-2014 at 09:11 AM.
Old 08-12-2014, 12:32 PM
Rww
Beginning Member

I have it it as light as it can be and I'm still only getting 14.1 mpg

Old 08-13-2014, 08:53 PM
LeWhite will become famous soon enough

Most of your crusing speed energy is expended overcoming air pressure. Asuming your power plant is operating properly, the best improvements are had by lowering your aero. The best way to do that is by lowering your ride hight. (but you prolly wont do it).

Old 08-13-2014, 09:21 PM
Rww
Beginning Member

Yeah I don't wanna lower it. Just sucks getting that mpg

Old 08-13-2014, 09:29 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

Sell it and buy a different vehicle with your profit is the only feasible way to get decent mileage out of a blazer lol!

Old 08-13-2014, 09:47 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by rexmburns
Sell it and buy a different vehicle with your profit is the only feasible way to get decent mileage out of a blazer lol!
Whoa there... LOL I get 22mpg combined in the jimmy, with 199,000 miles.
Everything needs to be tip top.

Old 08-13-2014, 10:19 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

I didn't say it was the smart thing to do! Look at my blazer for a perfect example of not going for mpg's lol. I think the first gens get better mileage than the 2nd gens do. But sitting at 14.1 he will be lucky to average 16-17 even after a few mpg improving mods and likely changes in driving style.

Old 08-13-2014, 11:00 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by rexmburns
I didn't say it was the smart thing to do! Look at my blazer for a perfect example of not going for mpg's lol. I think the first gens get better mileage than the 2nd gens do. But sitting at 14.1 he will be lucky to average 16-17 even after a few mpg improving mods and likely changes in driving style.
oh i know, I was just messin around...

On a side note, I bet you get some killer MPG's now haha.. Might as well remove the gas tank and put a 5 gallon can in the rear. That will last you at least 5 months.

Old 08-14-2014, 09:59 AM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

Making sure your truck is well maintained and running properly will go a long way to getting better mileage. Even with being lifted and having large tires I consistently get 19mpg. I use an app on my phone to track my mileage, and I take steps to try and make sure that my calculations are as accurate as possible.

Quick Reply: Better mpg