General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

The (Big 3) upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 10:21 AM
Starting Member
DaddysBlazer is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face The (Big 3) upgrade

I was on a differant forum earlier and saw a thread about the (Big 3) upgrade.Its suppose to lower the resisance with in the wire's their self. The three wire's If I read it right was the wire running from the alternater to the battery.( replace with 4 awg by the way) The one going from the negative side of the battery to the body of the truck, and finially the one going from the frame of the truck to the motor block. I just wanted some feed back on doing that choir, and if it would even be worth it or not. Were probaly talking about $3o bucks and I know it looks very nice but is it going to work very nice or is it going to cost me in the future.

Old 10-29-2011, 11:43 AM
Starting Member
Mczuk is on a distinguished road

If you are running a big stereo or extra lights or something else that draws a lot of energy there probably won't be that much use in it. But it's only a $30 upgrade and shouldn't take much time, so. . . ?

Old 10-29-2011, 03:21 PM
chevytruckdood is on a distinguished road

i upgraded all three my self and i have 8 lights plus scanner, cb and aftermarket cd player, it doesnt seem to pulse with power, but i also have a newer battery and alternator........

Old 10-29-2011, 04:14 PM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

I did it for my 710w of aux lights and my sound system, it did wonders for my power. Of course I was using my old old batt. and probably the original alt.

I think it's worth it, if you have less resistance in your charging system I think you get better gas milege too. Probably not alot, but a little.

Old 10-29-2011, 08:13 PM
Starting Member
DaddysBlazer is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool

Well after gettin the feedback I recieved today I most definitly am going to do it on friday. I already have some (4 awg) wire but I want to get some new stuff and shop for all the differant end peices I can come up with I dont have a bunch of upgrades but I plan on haveing this truck a long ,long time. I mean I just put practiclly a new motor in it a month ago. Only 76,000 miles!

Old 10-29-2011, 11:40 PM
Karcinagin is an unknown quantity at this point

I did this upgrade with a H/O alt, super easy ebayed some wire and heat shrink and amazond battery terminals extentions along with wire "O" ends.
Easy upgrade and did help with the dimming.

Old 11-01-2011, 09:48 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

When i have my system turned up with high beams on and heater blowing my light flickers enough to notice it when the bass hits. I guess i need to do this upgrade.

I know one wire is from the battery + to the alternator. Is the other 2 the - side to a bodypiece then the body to the block? I noticed 2 other reds coming off the alternator into the wire loom of the truck..

Also,what did you guys use to crimp the ends? When i wired my subs i used some pliers to mash the ends together then soldered the ends to where they wouldnt slide out. I really dont wanna spend 20 bucks on some special crimp tool il use maybe once.

Old 11-01-2011, 09:59 PM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

I used some copper battery connectors from autozone.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:35 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by chris015
When i have my system turned up with high beams on and heater blowing my light flickers enough to notice it when the bass hits. I guess i need to do this upgrade.

I know one wire is from the battery + to the alternator. Is the other 2 the - side to a bodypiece then the body to the block? I noticed 2 other reds coming off the alternator into the wire loom of the truck..

Also,what did you guys use to crimp the ends? When i wired my subs i used some pliers to mash the ends together then soldered the ends to where they wouldnt slide out. I really dont wanna spend 20 bucks on some special crimp tool il use maybe once.

MASSIVE Channel locks work

Old 11-01-2011, 10:37 PM
BF Veteran

Or big vice grips, that's what I use for the big stuff like that.