General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Big Boy Blazers--Gas vs Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 09:07 PM
Crimson Leviathan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Big Boy Blazers--Gas vs Diesel

Hey fellas.

So here's the deal; I've had Powerstrokes since the late 90's, and before that always had Chevy dually's with the 454...choice in truck used to be cause of work. Stopped needing a big truck about 7 years ago, but I'm a big guy and the Powerstrokes are good on fuel so stuck with 'em. Now, still need somethin' that I will fit in (6'6"), but also need to fit my 2 St. Bernards and my pregnant wife, and(starting in July of '08) a carseat for our first kid.....sooooo....looking at getting into an older, full size Blazer (still kicking the Bronco idea aroundmildly, but always liked Chevy's better...other than the exception of the Powerstrokes that is)..........so, here are some questions for ya fellas:

1) For the full sized Blazers, any years that stick out more than others, for better or worse?

2) What do y'all think of going gas or diesel? I know the old diesels won't have nowhere near the ***** that my 7.3L turbo diesel has, but that is fine...I NEVER haul anything nowadays anyways, so all I need is reliability and fuel efficiency....we are moving out to the stick in a coupla years to raise the kid, so with my line of work, I am expecting at least an hour drive each way to work in the near future, quite possibly an hour and a half.

3) If yarecommend thediesels, then what does a fella have to watch ou for/expect on them for problems? Also, what kinda fuel usage ya figure for one with a moderate lift and good sized tires on her?

4) On goin' with gas, what mods can be made to boost fuel economy and what fuel economy can I expect with moderate lift and tires on her? Not looking to off road, just like having a decent ground clarence.

Thanks for the time fellas...VERY MUCHappreciated!

Old 03-30-2008, 10:01 PM
ukblazer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Big Boy Blazers--Gas vs Diesel

Regards gasoline (petrol where i'm from lol ) you can get a duel fuel conversion to run them on L.P.G (Liquid Petrolium Gas) this is way cheaper usually than gasoline or diesel.

the mpg when running lpg does usually reduce by about 2mpg, but the research indicates less stress on the engine, so less likely to fail in the future, although most coversion garages prefer less than 100 k miles

at the cost of gasoline versus LPG here, doing 12000 miles a year, you'd break even after 18 months

Old 03-31-2008, 12:26 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

In all honesty I have never checked my gas milage. If I was really worried about it, I'd by a Pontiac Wave or a Honda Civic.
My Blazers are all 350 V8, gas engines. The old 5.7L diesel had it's problems but the 6.2L was a major improvement.
The 6.6L Duramax diesel seems to be the answer though, it's quiet and powerful. I don't think you'll find the 6.6L came stock in a Blazer though.

[IMG]local://upfiles/2910/E63B6AB06222437CB4F006944C8BC1CC.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-02-2008, 08:42 PM
Beginning Member
GimmieBoost is an unknown quantity at this point

I searched for you and 13mpg seems to be the average for a stock, gas powered K5 Blazer. Diesels are a little better at 17mpg average but diesel cost more. So if you're driving 75 miles everyday just for work then that's 19,500 miles a year. That's 1,500 gallons of gasoline per year JUST to commute to and from work. If gas stays at $3.20 a gallon it will cost you $4,800 a year. My point is, if you really want a K5 then get one but I wouldn't drive it to work daily. You could pick up a cheap daily driver that gets 30mpg and save $2,000-2,500 a year. Just a thought...

-Jesse

Old 04-04-2008, 10:18 PM
Crimson Leviathan is an unknown quantity at this point

hey fellas, thanks a ton foryour time....now y'all can let the crucifixtion begin......I found a full size Bronco with a stick shift today and she was98% rust free with only a smidge ofrust being on the doors and the tailgate, so I couldn't pass her up....drive home was about 50/50 city/hwy and got 15.8, so get a better air system in and some amsoil, and I think I am gonna be real happy

Jesse, thanks brother, appreciate the thinkin', and trust me, Idid the math too, but at the end of the day, I am still 6'6" and weigh 372...so a hatchback just ain't gonna cut it

thanks again fellas, I'll get off of herebefore I get lynched for the recent aquisition! hahaha