General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Blazer + Horse trailer= ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 10:13 PM
xkillahkatex is on a distinguished road
Default Blazer + Horse trailer= ?

I own a 2000 blazer LS, with a v6, and it can switch from 2 to 4wd.
I'm looking into buying a horse trailer, a small bumper pull, to trailer my horse to places...obviously.
I'm wondering how much weight I can pull without tearing my tranny or engine up? My horse weighs around 1200lbs, so how much maximum could the trailer weigh?
I'd be hauling no more than 300 miles round trip.

Any answer is greatly appreciated, I'm just worried for the safety of my car and my horse.

Thank you

Old 12-30-2011, 10:50 PM
Starting Member
j89lumaye is on a distinguished road

Depending on what class hitch you have, it could be anywhere from 5-6000 pounds for the towing capacity at least. Ive always thought that you can get a little over that yet without problems. So you should be perfectly fine. But just to make sure, i would get a temp gauge for your tranny and maybe a cooler if your worried about it

Old 12-31-2011, 12:28 PM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

No question get a trans cooler and temp gauge first.

I used to haul my horse with my 87 2 door with a 2.8 just fine. Hauls a 16 foot flat bottom all the time with the 3.4 now.

Old 01-02-2012, 07:24 PM
racsan is on a distinguished road

make sure you have trailer brakes, pulling 5,000 isnt much of a problem with the blazer chassis, your bigger issue will be getting the rig stopped.

Old 01-02-2012, 09:34 PM
TheRandom1 has a spectacular aura aboutTheRandom1 has a spectacular aura about

Unless I'm reading wrong, it sounds like you want to hook a horse trailer up to a bumper hitch ball. I would not even consider this unless you want to have some horsemeat sandwiches.

However, if I'm wrong and you are using a real hitch rated high enough to cover your horse and trailer, you should be OK, I would think. I would definitely do as these guys have advised though, and get a cooler and gauge just to be safe though.

Old 01-03-2012, 08:45 PM
xkillahkatex is on a distinguished road

Any suggestions on a hitch type other than a ball?
I'm not sure if the trailer has its own breaks or not, but my father in law said that if I get the right hitch it'll decompress the pressure when breaking and blah blah blah, so I need to know what the "right" hitch is then.

Old 01-03-2012, 08:49 PM
TheRandom1 has a spectacular aura aboutTheRandom1 has a spectacular aura about

Decompress the pressure? That makes no sense to me at all. Perhaps he could explain it better so you can share?

Old 01-04-2012, 09:35 AM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

The trailer has surge brakes, pretty common on smaller horse trailer.

Old 01-04-2012, 12:23 PM
Starting Member
Joshs4x4 is on a distinguished road

You need a hitch that connects to the frame of the truck! If you try to pull it with the bumper I bet that it tares the bumper right off.

Old 01-04-2012, 01:10 PM
Beginning Member
AleroBlazer is on a distinguished road

if you're not sure on what hitch type, you probably need a class 3 hitch if you dont have one already, cause putting a ball on your bumper will tear that sucker right off, lol, a class 3 should be heavy enough, and with the break lights, you should check the trailer, if its a 4 pin, or 7 pin ( i think ) hook up to the trailer ( the pin hook up, control the break lights, turn signals, etc, etc ) your blazer should already have the 4 pin though somewhere by the back bumper, check it all and let us know,

Quick Reply: Blazer + Horse trailer= ?