General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Blazer Newb - Looking for Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 11:03 AM
Beginning Member
B5Bee is on a distinguished road

On any Blazer you're looking at buying, check the upper and lower ball joints. If they're fairly tight, and held on with nuts and bolts, they've been replaced. If they're held on with rivets, they're original, and you'll be replacing them soon. Idler arms don't last very long, either. Check the front tires for wear patterns. That will tell you alot.

Door hinge pins and bushings go like clockwork, causing the door to sag. A side effect is leaking weatherstrip which drips on power mirror/window/lock switches, shorting them out. Changing pins and bushings isn't too difficult, but it is a two man job and you need the spring compressor tool. $4 from Harbor Freight.

Heater cores don't last. Royal PITA. Not a DIY project unless you don't mind disassembling the entire dash and ending up with lots of small cuts on your hands.

When you're test driving, turn EVERYTHING on and off to make sure it works. By that I mean, roll every window all the way down to the bottom and all the way up. Play the stereo, AM and FM. Turn the balance and fade from side to side and front to back. Put a tape or CD in the player. Turn on the AC, even if it's cold outside. Turn on the heater, even if it's hot outside, and run it through defrost and floor heat to make sure it all works. Run the power seat in every direction. Check every gauge for function. Have the seller fill the gas tank if you have to, just to check the gas gauge works. Put it in 4HI and run it, put it 4LO and run it, make sure it engages and disengages. Hit the rear hatch release button. The time to find little stuff that doesn't work is before you buy.

Pay a mechanic to thoroughly check the vehicle, including a compression check and/or cylinder leak-down test. Have him pay special attention to the front suspension.

All of that aside, I love these little trucks. If well maintained, they're tough as nails... and one heck of alot more comfortable in nasty weather than any Jeep.

Old 10-08-2009, 01:07 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by B5Bee
Door hinge pins and bushings go like clockwork, causing the door to sag. A side effect is leaking weatherstrip which drips on power mirror/window/lock switches, shorting them out. Changing pins and bushings isn't too difficult, but it is a two man job and you need the spring compressor tool. $4 from Harbor Freight.

All of that aside, I love these little trucks. If well maintained, they're tough as nails... and one heck of alot more comfortable in nasty weather than any Jeep.
"like clock work" is an understatement.

as for ride quality, absolutely! especially if you have nice heated seats in January & February.

Old 10-08-2009, 07:21 PM
Beginning Member
GLBL WMR is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the replies guys - I'm going to check a few out over the next few weeks and see what happens. I know the Jeep will be more reliable, but I'm willing to roll the dice a little bit if I can find a nice Blazer in good shape.

Old 10-08-2009, 09:11 PM
sporty_drew is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by GLBL WMR
. . . I know the Jeep will be more reliable. . .
I think that will all depend on the previous owners and how it has been taken care of.

Old 10-08-2009, 10:15 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sporty_drew
I think that will all depend on the previous owners and how it has been taken care of.
you're right. if the previous owner never did any maintenance on the Jeep, then ok, it'll be a match for most Blazers.