General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Bravada and Blazer suspension interchangeability

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 09:49 PM
NWBackwoods is on a distinguished road
Default Bravada and Blazer suspension interchangeability

So I recently acquired a 97 Bravada. It has the notorious saggy rear syndrome and I just received a set of leaf springs from JCWhitney. I was under the assumption that the bravada was just a blazer with a different transfer case and maybe different differentials. Before I ordered the springs I went to a couple of parts stores and they said they weren't sure enough to tell me if the springs were the same on the two. I went to a few online sites and there wasn't any available for the bravada, and one site said specifically that the springs were not interchangeable. Then I bit the bullet and went to the dealers. Before you get the flame throwers out I am well aware of the "honesty" at dealers but I figured I would give them a shot.

First Olds told me they were two completely different vehicles and started an order on a set of "bravada" springs. I just said thanks and left before I could get the quote. Then Chevy tells me that they weren't sure but if I left it there someone could get to it and it is about 900 bucks parts included to change the rear springs. So I just left there as dumb as before.

Then finally I called a couple of scrap yards who had a good laugh about it and told me that the parts numbers were the same and tryed to sell me a couple of used ones but I already have some used ones installed.

Sooooooo.... I took a gamble and ordered these from JCWhitney. Later that day I found this site and a link to Rockauto. I got on there and cross referenced the part numbers and to my relief they matched. Then today I get my old springs off and open up the new ones I received and they are HUGE!! Just when I thought for sure they were the same this crap happens. The springs I took off were from center of the hole to hole about 49 and three quarter inches. The new ones were about 61 and a quarter inches. They looked pretty close to the springs on my dads new Chevy half ton.

So I call costumer service and told them I have a 97 4dr 4 wheel drive blazer and I received the wrong springs. The barely english speaking lady took the part number and repeatedly told my I had the right springs. I didn't want to tell her it was a bravada because I am sure that would have voided any kind of exchange judging from the attitude I was getting. Anyway I think from what I could understand from her is I am getting an exchange but now I am not sure if they are the same anymore. On the way back from the shop we pulled up next to a blazer and from what I could see it looked the same. They sure didn't look a foot longer but I didn't have a tape measure.

So I got on to JCWhitneys site and the part numbers are the same as I received so I am thoroughly confused here. I don't suppose that anyone on here has a bravada and replaced the springs with blazer springs? Or I don't suppose there are any tech heads here that know for sure if these are interchangeable? If anyone would mind measuring their blazer springs I would really appreciate this.

I am pretty sure that after the full size blazer was discontinued in 95 the s-10 label was dropped off of the smaller blazer so they are not confusing this with an older full size blazer are they? I don't know that is why I am asking the pro's. You guys and gals. Thanks a ton ahead of time for any replies.

Old 02-25-2012, 11:27 PM
Starting Member
redneck44244 is on a distinguished road

a buddy of mine has a 98 bravada and he had broken a leaf spring on his and i believe he replaced it with one from a salvage yard from a blazer and it fit just fine. now about the spring you first got ya im sure it was for a fullsize cause some part sellers still refer the 2 dr tahoes as a fullsize blazer, i know when ever i go to napa here in town and tell them i need something for a 01 chevy blazer their first question is is that an s-10 or fullsize blazer? :/

Old 02-26-2012, 03:45 AM
oldsbravada2000 is on a distinguished road

Almost all parts are interchangeable between Blazers, Jimmys, and Bravadas the only major parts that aren't interchangeable are the tranfercases and the front grill and lights can't be changed without changing the core support as well. The front axles in the Bravadas CANNOT be swapped with the ones from a Jimmy or Blazer because the Jimmy and Blazers use the vacuum system to engage the front axle while the Bravada front axles are engaged full time. The engine, suspension, body panels and interior pieces can all be swapped without trouble.

Old 02-26-2012, 12:05 PM

Thanks for the replies. I just needed some reassurance before I called them and told them that the part number they have is incorrect. The monsters they sent have matching numbers as listed on their site so I am sure they were just going to send me an other set of 61+ inch springs. I will post some lengths for the search engines sake when I get this sorted out.

It is hard to keep a strait face when someone is telling me that the bravada and blazer are two completely different vehicles. And I really don't want to tell some one that it is for a bravada while ordering blazer parts because I get this speech. You guys wouldn't believe how many people told me that there aren't many parts available for the bravada any more, while they are selling tons of blazer stuff. Well off to the phone I go. Thanks again.

Old 02-26-2012, 01:31 PM

DEAR GOD!!!!!!! So after an hour on the phone this is what happened. I had to talk to three people and go over all my info each time. Well this is what I was told. The springs I received were for a "lift." I got onto the site and checked the description and there is nothing about a lift on the product description anywhere. Not that a foot longer spring would provide any kind of lift without some seriously bizarre mounting brackets.

So she brought up a different brand that were OEM replacements. I asked for some measurements and she says "very much shorter." I ask how much shorter and "very much shorter" comes up again. So I just sigh and ask how we are we to proceed with the exchange. She say she is going to place the order for the new springs and send them and refund the money after receiving the first set which takes two to three weeks. I told her that both transactions on the credit card at the same time would max the card out and would cause serious problems. Then she states that processing time for returns is two to three weeks and now I have to wait until the exchange is processed to place a new order.

So I am waiting on some new bolts then I get to put the old saggers back on and wait this out. I tell you what this is my last purchase with them.

Old 02-26-2012, 02:12 PM
Starting Member

well hopefully it works out in the end for you

Old 02-26-2012, 03:48 PM

Thanks, I hope so too. I am heading up to look at it again and check out what is entailed with replacing the seal on the front dif today. I am going to grab the workshop manual and give it a good look over today. On the way I am going to hunt down a blazer and measure the distance between the mounting brackets to be sure but I am convinced they are the same. I did try to sort it out with JCWhitney again after I posted but they obviously don't have a clue about anything. The product description page guarentees that they will bolt right in with out any mention of a "lift."

Old 02-26-2012, 07:17 PM
Starting Member

o ya thats nothing new to me i have to do my passenger side seal again, there no fun.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:59 PM

The soap operah continues. I called the manufacure (John R. Springs) today and brought it up with them. I told him what I had and gave him the part number. He didn't even have to look it up, he knew immediatly that he 22-793 springs I got were for a larger vehicle, probably a older full size blazer. Then he looked up 97 blazer springs and came up with 22-1017. I bit the bullet and called JCWhitney. He said he took note of the fact that the site had the wrong number for the vehicle and transfered me to the auto parts department and I was on hold for an eterity. I just hung up, I don't even think anyone was still there. I will give it a shot tommorow.

Old 03-07-2012, 06:27 PM

22-1017 installed and are working great. I had no idea how bad the old ones were. I went around the first corner and was shocked. It handles like a new car, no leaning, very tight. Now if I ever get my money back bfgoodrich's are going on.