General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Bug Deflector/Hood Shield

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 08:19 AM
FFJustin99Chevy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bug Deflector/Hood Shield

Just thought I'd get some input on this.....

I wanted to put a bug deflector on the front of my Blazer and wanted to know if any of them out there look better than the next one. Wasn't planning on spending much on it ($30-$40) but I like the look and have seen them on some of the members' rides.

The practical purpose behind this is small chips developing in the front lip of the hood from stones and other things that like to fall off large trucks on the highway.

Let me know!

Old 07-12-2007, 02:23 PM
lennyblazer is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Bug Deflector/Hood Shield

I think they are all the same but I am not sure. I have one on my blazer but I am not sure what brand it is as it does not say and it came with the truck. But I think they look good and they are functionally for protecting the hood from bugs and rock chips. Does nothing for keeping bugs off the windsheild like some say.

-Lenny

Old 07-12-2007, 03:17 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

ORIGINAL: lennyblazer

I think they are all the same but I am not sure. I have one on my blazer but I am not sure what brand it is as it does not say and it came with the truck. But I think they look good and they are functionally for protecting the hood from bugs and rock chips. Does nothing for keeping bugs off the windsheild like some say.

-Lenny

It helps a bit, with bugs... Not as much as some people like to claim, but it does... Then again, throw on a brush guard and some extra lights, and you'll have even less bugs, lol

Old 07-12-2007, 03:43 PM
rabbit0102030 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm looking into one of the paintabledeflectors and window channel visorsthat AVS puts out. I don't like the way the smoked or clear ones look, but I want to protect form the rock chips and bug splats that always happen at that point on the hood.

Old 07-12-2007, 03:51 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

The 3M hoodcoat or whatever it's called is supposed to be really good.

One guy I drove home, says he got a dent in his hood from abig rock, and the paint still didn't chip

Old 07-12-2007, 03:54 PM

Neveer even heard of that stuff....does it go under the paint or on top? I don't know though how that would work out with the kind of paint I will be repainting my ride with soon.

Old 07-12-2007, 03:56 PM
FFJustin99Chevy is an unknown quantity at this point

From what I've heard, that stuff is more like a plastic cover which is almost invisible. The BMW Mini Coopers come with it standard. I would be curious on price though.

Old 07-12-2007, 03:56 PM
BF Veteran

It goes on top, it's a clear coat kind of thing...

Paint & Body shops should know what it is...

Old 07-12-2007, 03:57 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It just goes over the paint and is clear. Nice thing is it's replaceable. Not so nice thing is it isn't a deflector at all, just a protective film on the paint. A typical deflector on the hood is there to not only protect the front of the hood, but to deflect any bugs/debris up and over the windshield.

Old 07-12-2007, 04:02 PM

That may be the same premise then of this stuff down here that a couple shops have been promoting real heavy the last few years. I can't remember exactly what it is called, but it is also clear and goes on top of your clear coat, its removable, and they say it can withstand a marble sized rock at 70 mph. I'm a bit skeptical though about that, and I just wonder what it would feel like on your truckand if you could tell it was there.

Quick Reply: Bug Deflector/Hood Shield