General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Buying '02 Blazer LS. Advice please.

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2021, 06:44 PM
Beginning Member
Livebait is on a distinguished road
Default Buying '02 Blazer LS. Advice please.

Heres the skinny. 2002 Blazer LS 189K / New (rebuilt) trans with zero miles / New intake manifold gasket / regular maintenance / no CARFAX accident history. Mechanic is an ASE certified L1 Master Automotive Technician...and a good guy good reputation

I know this is kind of a touchy question...but assuming everything is in good functioning condition...how many easy driving miles could I expect out of her with regular servicing?

Thanks.

Old 09-21-2021, 07:21 PM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

300k miles is not at all unusual on the original engine. The transmission usually doesn't last that long, but it's new, so you're good there. If it's been well-maintained (which it sounds like it has), it should be pretty reliable for years.

Old 09-22-2021, 06:24 AM
BF Veteran
DonL will become famous soon enough

I replace my 99 motor at 334xxx km, and the transmission is still doing just fine. My moms 00 is at 280xxx km and the transmission lost 2nd.

Regular maintenance is key, but these are amazing when taken care of lol

Old 10-01-2021, 04:52 PM
jimspahr@msn.com is on a distinguished road

Like DonL said, 'Regular maintenance is Key'. Here are two video's from the folks at 1A Auto about the S-10 Blazer 2nd Gen. SUV and pick up's. I posted this in 'General Chat' and it covers 1./ Six Problems with the 2nd Gen. S-10 Blazer and 2./ 100,000 Mile Service for the S-10 Blazers. These two video's will give you some specific things to look at to ensure many happy miles in your new 2002 Blazer LS. It is a good SUV to work on and the parts are relatively inexpensive. Enjoy you new SUV.

https://blazerforum.com/forum/genera...a-auto-103855/

Old 10-01-2021, 06:02 PM
Starting Member
Snap-Off is on a distinguished road

I've spent the last few years reviving a an '02 that was badly beaten, worn and torn then left for dead in a yard for 8 years...

I expected a lengthy , EXPENSIVE battle, but the more I've spent time working on it and driving it, the more I realize that the only things wrong were maintenance neglect items..

153,000 miles and yes, intake gaskets have been swapped.....

But it has been quite drivable once I replaced everything that should have been replaced over time...

And I think I have a TCC solenoid starting to flake out or maybe it's related to the "black" transmission fluid the prev owner used.....(supposed to be red, isn't it??!) :\

Old 10-02-2021, 02:40 AM

Yes, it seems the two most neglected fluids are brake fluids and ATF fluids. I am talking about vehicles that are driven everyday.

Old 10-02-2021, 09:28 AM

Bonus mtce tip. Oil on a weekly basis the door hinge pins. Esp. attention to the round 'turn style' device on the front doors. If they get dry, they will remind you with a loud pop. Also oil the external spare tire swing away device........Pivot pins and the locking mechanism.

Old 10-05-2021, 06:29 PM
Starting Member
Snap-Off is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by jimspahr@msn.com
Bonus mtce tip. Oil on a weekly basis the door hinge pins. Esp. attention to the round 'turn style' device on the front doors. If they get dry, they will remind you with a loud pop. Also oil the external spare tire swing away device........Pivot pins and the locking mechanism.
That's the truth right there!

Some folks have saggy drawers...GM Owners have Saggy Doors....

Old 10-05-2021, 10:13 PM
BF Veteran
DonL will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by snap-off
that's the truth right there!

Some folks have saggy drawers...gm owners have saggy doors....
you can say that again!!!

Old 10-06-2021, 02:15 PM

Every time I open the driver's side door, I look at the 'roof to door' body line. You can see the door drop a 1/4 inch and I hate saggy doors. The parts to fix it are inexpensive from Amazon. Be sure to get the 'spring compressor'. You are going to need it. So keep those door hinge pins well lubed.

Quick Reply: Buying '02 Blazer LS. Advice please.