General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Buying this Blazer tomorrow, tell me what you think

Old 08-09-2007, 06:26 PM
Starting Member
Swain is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Buying this Blazer tomorrow, tell me what you think

Hey guys, I just registered as I will be buying a 96' Blazer tomorrow that has been converted to a 99' style front end, and has the engine from an 00' in it. I don't know much about these trucks and I am sure you do so I just wanted to post and hear some thoughts. I will be paying $4000 Canadian for it, they got in a minor fender bender with it so that is why they put the new front end on. I dont know if there were any options for the engine but this has a 4.3L Vortech, automatic transmission and it seems to drive exceptionally well One thing wrong is a pinhole leak in the radiator I believe, how important is that to get fixed? After I drove it I popped the hood and looked under and could hear a very slight hissing sound and it appeared there was a pinhole with a little fluid coming out of the radiator, should I try using stop leak or just replace? It has 250,000kms on the chassis and 100,000 on the engine here is a list of new parts with receipts:
-new front brakes(Jan'07)
-new front ball joints(Jan'07)
-NEW 1999 front end installed at Dalziels Auto Body (including hood, grill, rad support, and lights(April'07)
-Brand NEW paint job all around(Black) from Dalziels Auto Body(April'07)
-new rear wheel cylinder on drivers side(April'07)
-BRAND NEW BF Goodrich All Terrain TA white letter tires installed all around from OK Tire(April'07)
-Chevy rims with center caps newly cleaned and shined up(April'07)
-New Ventshade Window vents and Autoshade Bug Deflector, as well as tail light covers(April'07)

And finally, for the pics...please don't be too hard on me this is my first post on these forums, and I know next to nothing about Blazers besides what I've read on here over the past week. Let me know what you think!

I had to take out a loan for this so it needs to last me, I will have some extra money right now so is there anything that I should replace before instead of after? Thanks guys!

Old 08-09-2007, 06:32 PM
Starting Member
Default RE: Buying this Blazer tomorrow, tell me what you think

Oh yeah and another question, since it has the 99 front end would I buy a push bar for the 99 or a 96, or is there any difference? Thanks in advance.

Old 08-09-2007, 06:38 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

ORIGINAL: Swain

...please don't be too hard on me
No need to worry about that, Joe. Your truck looks good. I would definitely get the radiator taken care of - no BarsLeaks, etc. The first thing that pops to my mind would be whether the intake manifold gasket has been upgraded or not. The original factory type has a reputation for leaking coolant into the oil. A used oil analysis will answer the question for sure. Other members with 96's and 00's will probably have more info for you after they read your post. Welcome aboard!

Old 08-09-2007, 06:40 PM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

looks really nice for $4000

Old 08-09-2007, 07:06 PM
Mr Blazer LT is an unknown quantity at this point

Ugh. A Yankees fan.[:'(]

Anyway, that truck looks killer. No one would guess that to be a 96. Replace the radiator ASAP. Havea mechanic check out the truck. See what maintenence work may need to be done soon or needs to be done (spark plugs, wires, chassis lubrication, belt, hoses, fluids checked) and make sure the rest of the suspension components are in good condition. Definitely check if the intake manifold gasket has been replaced. These are strong trucks and will last you for quite a while with the proper care and maintenence.

Old 08-09-2007, 07:06 PM
lastcoupe is an unknown quantity at this point

Welcome to the forum. Very nice looking truck, congrats on the purchase! I would probably remove the radiator and have it repaired if it's only a pin hole, but I certainly would not use stop-leak...just my opinion, and I'm sure you'll hear others. I would also assume that the intake manifold gaskets have been replaced when the engine was changed, but you should have it inspected for leaks, I have seen a couple of them leak internally, but the VAST VAST VAST..(did I say vast?!) majaority actually leak coolant externally from the engine which will do no harm to the engine if it's not left to leak forever. Again congratulations on your new ride, you'll probably love it like most of us!

Old 08-09-2007, 07:09 PM
RCars2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Welcome aboard, and btw that blazer looks absolutely sharp.......i really cant believe how nice that looks......in black too. Not a bad find.

As for the push bars........im gonna say go with the one for the 96. The reason why is they probably put a 96 bumper back on there as the mounts are different from a 96 vs a 99 if i understand correctly (though lastcoupe can shed some light on this) and most push bars mount to the bumper mounts with the exception of a couple of them (like waag for instance) that mount to the frame and those fit both years just fine.

Old 08-09-2007, 08:02 PM
89beater is an unknown quantity at this point

welcome to the forum. thats a nice looking blazer

Old 08-09-2007, 08:08 PM
Starting Member

Haha, no not a Yank's fan...that will be the first thing taken off when I pick her up tomorrow. A few of my uncles are mechanics, and I know enough myself to do some maintenance like the spark plugs & wires, oil & filter, air filter etc. That will all be changed this sunday for new parts since I have the day off and won't be able to get it insured til Monday because I work tomorrow until after everything is closed. I went out tonight and spent $75 buying everything I need to clean the interior, engine bay/susp components, plus some wax, rim cleaner and tire shine. New pics will be up after I get it all finished, after I clean the engine bay really well I will be able to look further into the pinhole leak in the radiator. Thanks for the welcoming guys, much appreciated!

Oh and for those wondering like I was, thats not a rip on the back of the drivers seat its just some papers shoved in the pocket. There is however a rip on the left of the drivers seat which is going to bug me everytime I open the door, has anybody found some nice seat covers that look factory-ish and fit well?

Old 08-09-2007, 08:15 PM
lennyblazer is on a distinguished road

Looks real nice, amazing what a fresh coat of paint will do, plus I would never have thought that was a 96 till I saw the inside. Looks real good, Welcome to the forum.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Buying this Blazer tomorrow, tell me what you think