General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

BYUING FIRST BLAZER! Need Advice. Is this truck worth is? Custom v8 + mods

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 01:34 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: BYUING FIRST BLAZER! Need Advice. Is this truck worth is? Custom v8 + mods

My friend has a 350 (5.7L) and the torque will spin the rear tires on dry pavement, it gets squirrely in the rain and sits and spins in the snow. The 305 (5.0L) is smaller than the 350 but if it's built with a cam it performs quite nicely, even in a heavier truck. Keep in mind that the factory installed a 2.5L 4 cyl,2.8LV6 a 4.3L V6 in the "S" series Blazers.
He also has the 700R4 tranny with a stall converter and a shift kit so there are no slow and gradual starts. When the tranny engages the engine revs are already up in the power band.

He does use it as a DD in the summer.....if it's not raining.

Old 08-31-2007, 09:14 AM
W O T is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: BYUING FIRST BLAZER! Need Advice. Is this truck worth is? Custom v8 + mods

So A shift kits means that the tranny only engages when the rpms are way up there? No slowly pushing the pedal to get out of rain or park or anything?

What about the abuse the tranny can take in its current form if I choose to turbo it or spray it

It also does NOT come with a stereo, he doesnt have any more pictures either and just wants me to come take a look at it

*Combining Consecutive Posts*

Also looking for opinions on this truck being a RELIABLE daily driver. Like back and forth a few km every day to work, pick up the girly, drive through traffic etc.....

*EDIT by swartlkk* - Combining Consecutive Posts - Please use the EDIT feature to add additional information to your post if another member has yet to reply. Consecutive posting is prohibitted by the rules of the forum. If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please PM me. Thanks!

Old 08-31-2007, 12:00 PM
Retired Super Moderator
Dory is a jewel in the roughDory is a jewel in the roughDory is a jewel in the rough

Um... REAR wheel drive with a V8!? Its going to be a huge PIG in the snow (if you get that where you live). Its going to eat gas like mad and anytime it rains or snows... you aint going very far.... or slipping around at least.

Might as well buy a mustang V8 or any other sports car for that matter....

Also if its a custom car, it will never be that reliable. I have learned the very hard way that once you custom a car or truck, it will always be problematic to some degree. You will have to figure out all the work someone ELSE did since its custom and if your looking for nothing more then a daily driver, get a stock car... 4x4, good in bad weather. Speed and bad weather dont go hand in hand...

Lastly... stick to your Honda's for your speed fix... keep the truck for daily driving.. I wouldnt touch that thing with a 10' pole. Plus since the truck wasn't meant for "speed", the body is going to wear out faster without crossmembers and/or strut tower brace... i could keep going... lol

Just my opinion, but after 10+ years of owning custom cars... it becomes a hell, and never a daily driver. [&o]

Old 08-31-2007, 12:35 PM
Blazin_Jason will become famous soon enough

Yea my rwd caprice wasn't all that great in the snow. Neither was my thunderbird.

Old 08-31-2007, 02:31 PM

So basically this thing is not going to be any good in the snow eh? Like practiclaly non driveable? And YES I get a lot of snow here, Im in Canada

I know about loosing reliability when you start modifying.

I was hoping to buy this truck, have it atleast be drivable in all conditions, and based on having a carbed v8, be very reliable due to the lack of sensors and such. I would then leave it as is and put a big stereo in it.

BUT - Im not gonna throw away 4 grand that will almost clean my bank account on something that will get me knowwhere

Old 08-31-2007, 02:59 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

if it's higher than your honda's, it'll probably do a little better in the snow... just remember to gets some GOOD winter tires, and put some weight in the back, and you should be good to go...

I never got stuck with my '85 2WD S10 in the snow, and that was a one tire fire... if it's got the locking rear diff, in normal driving, you'll never have an issue.

4x4 is NOT needed unless you're making your own roads... However, I'd reccomend some practice time in a parking lot before you took it out on the snowy roads, since it sounds like you've never driven a RWD in any snow before... It's VERY different.

Old 08-31-2007, 03:06 PM

Yeha Ive driven a v6 ranger 2wd in the snow, wasnt fun at all lol

Anyone have any advice knowledge on the transmission info I posted up and it being able to take some more HP, he saiys it has 275 now, does that even sound right from a basically stock 305? I do plan on, if possible, turboing this thing next summer if I were to buy it. And I dont want to tear down internals right away.

Thanks guys

Old 08-31-2007, 03:13 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

All you'll need is a little practice and some weight in the back.

and as long as you don't go crazy with the boost, you shouldn't have to worry about the internals...

Old 08-31-2007, 03:15 PM

Well I dont know much about boosting a carbed motor, but ive seen it done so I know the motor itself is good for low boost anyways, the transmission, rear end and clutch, is where I know nothing about and am stuck in the dark..... need adivce

Old 08-31-2007, 04:24 PM
Blazin_Jason will become famous soon enough

When it snows here, I had to get driven to work in a honda or a tempo. They were far better in the snow than my rwd cars. That's why I now have 2 4x4's, one being a 350 project.

Quick Reply: BYUING FIRST BLAZER! Need Advice. Is this truck worth is? Custom v8 + mods