General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

BYUING FIRST BLAZER! Need Advice. Is this truck worth is? Custom v8 + mods

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 05:10 PM
W O T is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: BYUING FIRST BLAZER! Need Advice. Is this truck worth is? Custom v8 + mods

I'll be fine in the snow Im sure with RWD and a v8, its the shift kit and stall convertor I dont know anything about, never driven an automatic, does that shift kit cause something to act different? Can it not take off slowly?

Still curious on the tranny/convertor/rear end and what kinda power it can take... and if his power level estimate is fariyl close? 275hp out of a 305HO seems a bit high to me for no internal work and some bolt ons, but, I know little about V8's

Old 09-01-2007, 08:13 AM
aris_unlimited is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: BYUING FIRST BLAZER! Need Advice. Is this truck worth is? Custom v8 + mods

It should be an automatic if it has a shift kit in it so no worrying about a clutch (previous post about internals) the shift kit will just make it shift into gear harder so that you don't have as much down time between shifts.

275 hp for a V8 with no internal upgrades is not that much. My monza is getting a 435 hp/435 tq 350 ci (5.7L) that I am building myself and it does not require internal upgrades (following an edelbrock buildup), although it will probably get the internals upgraded just for safety reasons.

As for how much the drivetrain can handle that is all up to speculation about what he has done. I know that 700R4 transmissions are not really built to handle gobs of power stock, so the question is if he did anything else to the tranny other than a shift kit and stall converter.

I personally would not buy this vehicle for winter driving. With that much power, shift kit, stall converter, and it being RWD (also looks lowered a little bit, correct me if I am wrong) those rear tires are not going to want to get any kind of traction on snow covered roads.

My best advice is to take the $4k and buy a decent 4WD stock blazer and that will get you through the winter months wonderfully.

Because you are already talking about wanting to make this faster and that will just make it so it performs even worse in the snow. Leave the speed to your hondas since that is what you are into and just buy a good stock 4WD blazer. It will not be overly powerful or fast but a very good winter vehicle.