General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

CAI; what to watch out for.

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 07:18 AM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future
Question CAI; what to watch out for.

God, I know how many threads there probably are about CAI's and for that I appologize.
I've just recently purchased a cheap one off of eBay (I'm swapping the filter on it for a K&N) and planning on fabbing up a heat-shield.

What kind of problems could a CAI cause and how can I prevent them.
I had a co-worker telling me if there are any "leaks" in the intake after the filter it could f*** up my MAF and 02 sensor.

Any tips and tricks with these would be appreciated.

Thanks

Old 06-17-2009, 11:17 AM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

If by leaks, you mean leak in the seal on the tubing, then i cant weigh in on that... probably wouldn't be good though.

If you mean leaks around the heat shield, it wont cause anything but a little loss in the potential gain of adding the CAI in the first place. You can run it without a shield forever.

I bought a cheapy for mine. Ran it as is (no shield, crap filter) for about 4 days until I got some materials together to build the shield. Ran it with a half completed shield for about a week, then finally finished her up.

Only thing I have noticed was a slightly more agressive sound durring acceleration. Hasn't tripped my SES light, hasn't caused any 'running' issues, etc.

I don't think leaks will f anything up, just give you crazy readings, trip your SES light, and maybe make her run like crap until you fixed the problem.

Old 06-17-2009, 12:05 PM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

thanks for the input, I'll probably put a bead of silicone to ensure no air gets through the seal.