General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Canadians, L@@K! What freeze-plug is preferred for block heater install?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 07:16 PM
Starting Member
iamchevyman5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Canadians, L@@K! What freeze-plug is preferred for block heater install?

Hi,
I'm thinking of installing a freeze-plug type block heater on the Jimmy. I'm wondering which freeze plug is used by GM when they put those block heaters in for you Canadians when they sell it there? The only one I know how to gain access to is the freeze-plug on top of the starter. Would this one be okay for installing the block heater? I've also heard that some freeze plugs don't provide the clearance needed to install the block heater. That is, the length added by the heating element will hit the block and not allow the actual plug to be knocked in.
Which location is best?
Thanks,
Dan

Old 11-30-2010, 07:25 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

A freeze-plug type block heater replaces the factory freeze-plug. If you get one that is intended for your application, it should install with no real problems. I have always used the rear-most freeze plug on the driver side of the motor and this is where the standard plugs are installed as well.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:15 PM
69chevelle is on a distinguished road

hey now, not all canadians have block heaters!!! it's not that cold in all of canada! look at the winter Olympics, people were in their shorts!!!!!!(yes I do have a block heater but I don't use it!)

Old 11-30-2010, 11:44 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by swartlkk
A freeze-plug type block heater replaces the factory freeze-plug. If you get one that is intended for your application, it should install with no real problems. I have always used the rear-most freeze plug on the driver side of the motor and this is where the standard plugs are installed as well.
you're sure this is where the factory or dealership installs them, the driver rear? How is this accessed? I was planning on going with the one near the starter, do you think the results will be any different?
If anything, I would think that installing it in the one above the starter (which is on the passenger side) would be best because it's right next to the drain plug, so it has to be a low point for the fluid. The only problem I can see with this one is routing the wire. Another concern is that with the added inch or less created by the plug in for the heater, the starter might not have room to go back on.
what do you guys think?

Oh and ps, Chevelle, I'm Canada's closest neighbor, so I know what you mean.
I have lived a short drive away from the Ambassador bridge my whole life until now; now I'm at school in Kalamazoo, but my permanent address is still about 25 minutes from being in Windsor.

Old 12-01-2010, 02:38 AM
xmradioguy is an unknown quantity at this point

rear drivers side no kidding!

Old 12-01-2010, 07:13 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

As stated, it's the rear most freeze plug on the driver (left) side of the engine (basically the same location as the one above the starter, but on the opposite side of the engine). There are no freeze plugs located on the back of your block. The plugs that are back there do not open up to the coolant jackets, but rather blank off the bores for the cam & balance shaft.

There is a drain plug on both sides of the block.

There likely isn't any reason that it couldn't be put above the starter if it would fit and it probably would be easier than pulling the exhaust manifold which is what you will probably have to do (especially if 4wd).

Old 12-01-2010, 08:02 AM
69chevelle is on a distinguished road

Kyle knows his stuff, I will follow my cord on break to confirm his Post..
Currently at work. The cord is tied up beside the abs box so I'm sure that is where it will end

Old 12-01-2010, 08:04 AM
Administrator

Here's an illustration that should make things clearer:

Old 12-01-2010, 04:35 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Here's an illustration that should make things clearer:
This photo makes it appear as though the freeze plug on this side is bolted on?
I've seen some posts that show that it's sealed in with no bolt and needs to be rotated out with a punch and some that say that they're held with a bolt. I wonder if this one can be accessed from topside or lowside of the engine without removing the exhaust manifold?
I would take a look at it today, but we got 3 inches of snow and it's already dark.

Old 12-01-2010, 04:37 PM
Administrator

All of the ones I have ever installed were held in with a bolt.

Quick Reply: Canadians, L@@K! What freeze-plug is preferred for block heater install?