General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Carb or Fuel Injection

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 06:42 PM
skubeedoo is on a distinguished road
Default Carb or Fuel Injection

I have an 83 K5 with 350 motor. My mechanic went over my carb and it's still running bad. Do I get a new carb or go fuel injection? If carb, what brand/model do you recommend? If fuel injection, what are my options and costs?
Thanks in advance...

Old 08-28-2014, 02:05 AM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

Fuel injection is big $$$ compared to replacing a carb. There are many quality carbs out there for much less money.

Old 08-28-2014, 09:25 AM

Indeed, after checking prices, carb seems to be the way to go. From what I'm reading Holey looks like a good choice. Any recommendations on brand and the exact model to go with? There are also many choices for replacement specs and I have no idea what the 83 K5 350 silverado model would need.

Old 08-28-2014, 09:52 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

Find out what the specs are on the stock carb and then find a Holley that has close to the same specs. Or call Holley themselves, I'm sure they can definitely put you on the track to the exact carb that would work with your engine.

Old 08-30-2014, 11:21 AM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

for years i tried messing with edlebraks and could never get my trucks to run right, retuned and rejetted them and still had issues. finally shelled out the money for a holley and my truck runs great.... but it still had to be tuned out of the box. you just need to find someone whos good with this kinda stuff

Old 08-31-2014, 01:42 PM

Went to Holley website and they've got a truck carb that looks like it really performs well off road. That may be the ticket.

Old 11-11-2014, 10:50 AM

seems no manufacturer has a direct replacement for the quadrajet and in so. cal. it won't pass smog unless it's the quadrajet. So, option 1: get carb rebuilt, but from the horror stories, there are few out there that can do the job right...any suggestions?
Option 2: fuel injection. any suggestions?

Old 11-11-2014, 11:12 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

There's really not much to rebuilding a carb. Some small screws, and a few gaskets. Find your self a good manual, or write up online, and do it at the kitchen table!

I had a super cheap quadrajet on my chevelle for awhile. Took it apart and cleaned it, new gaskets, and I had never been in a carb before. And, when I got it back together, the car ran! Pretty good, too!

I eventually got a 600 cfm Holley, which the only complaint I have is the electric choke. If the car is stopped for short periods, maybe 15-30 minutes, it cools off enough to activate the choke. The car is still plenty warm, and doesn't need the choke, and no amount of fiddling and adjusting can get it right.

The old "divorced" choke on the 2bbl Rochester worked so much better! For years I've threatened to just put a manual choke on there and be done with it!

Old 11-12-2014, 12:15 AM
LeWhite will become famous soon enough

Step into the current century, learn your craft, and do the planet a favor. There are so many EFI 350 chevys in junkyards its pathetic. Find one and swap parts. Then you can show your contemporaries how smart you are.

Old 11-13-2014, 10:52 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by LeWhite
Step into the current century, learn your craft, and do the planet a favor. There are so many EFI 350 chevys in junkyards its pathetic. Find one and swap parts. Then you can show your contemporaries how smart you are.
Hey, now! There's nothing wrong with some old school tech! Fuel injection can be more efficient, but I've never been left stranded on the side of the road, or had a vehicle fail to start because of a carb issue. I have with fuel injection problems, though.

I guess I just prefer the low tech simplicity of a carb. Heck, I would rather have a good old fashioned points distributor than an electronic one!

Quick Reply: Carb or Fuel Injection