General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Craigslist Mechanics, CHEAP

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 01:59 PM
88s10Blazer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Craigslist Mechanics, CHEAP

Well I was on Craigslist looking at Automotive Services and found this guy. He said he'll do Fuel Pump, Ball Joints, Intake Manifold Gasket, Head Gaskets, and Valve Cover Gaskets for 500 bux plus parts. I could do all except the Intake and Head Gaskets, but I think it's a hell of a deal considering he is GM certified and holds several ASE certifications(yes I will check). Nothing is wrong with the Blazer(except ball joints) but I would rather do all this before I get stranded somewhere.

Old 01-29-2010, 02:04 PM
papacope is an unknown quantity at this point

Could you post possibly post a link?

Old 01-29-2010, 02:12 PM
Old 01-29-2010, 02:20 PM
papacope is an unknown quantity at this point

You should ask him to see his certificates before you have him work on your truck. If he is legit, I would let him work on my vehicle.

Old 01-29-2010, 03:17 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by 88s10Blazer
Nothing is wrong with the Blazer(except ball joints) but I would rather do all this before I get stranded somewhere.

why do it then?

i mean, just because the fuel pumps tend to be an issue for a majority of Blazer/Jimmy owners, you may go for another 5 years before it might fail. it also could happen tonight going out for dinner, ya never know.

and regarding the intake gaskets.........i was told time & time again to change them, as it was the issue with my trucks wierd erratic running @ driving speeds. i knew it had to be electronic/electrical (had to drive it to understand the problem), and i was right-distributor was timed outta sync.

and head gaskets.........would you want to crack open your rib cage to change your heart, if there was nothing wrong with it? it's kinda the same thing as pulling the heads because you think they might be an issue in the future. i've only ever had one of my vehicles have head gasket problems (and i've had many vehicles over the years), and i beat on all of them equally.

i know it sucks getting stranded, but don't you think it would be better to bank the cash for when you really need it?

i'd still hook up with this guy, 'cause it's always a good idea to have a mechanic that you can trust, but personally, i'd wait on dropping coin for no real reason. just my nickel of input.

oh yeah......have you thought about asking this guy to price out the parts as well? or was he going to get the parts for you as well? he'd probably be able to score a better than "over the counter" price for you (@ least i do whenever anyone who gets me to do repairs for them).

Old 01-29-2010, 03:28 PM

I understand what your saying about fixing something that isn't wrong. But I'm a paranoid bastard when it comes to vehicles. Every time I get into the Blazer and turn it on and just cringe until I hear the fuel pump kick on. This is the nicest vehicle I've ever owned and paid over 1000 dollars for so I want to keep her and take extra good care of her. I just hate being broke down lol, but who doesn't? He told me to get the parts btw.

Old 01-29-2010, 03:53 PM
Starting Member
86Blazer327 is an unknown quantity at this point

Dude, Do not pull your intake and heads off without a reason. Do not replace your fuel pump with out a reason. Ive bought brand new fuel pumps and they have went out with in a week. All you are accomplishing here is opening up your fuel tank and top end of your engine for trash to get in. Wasted time and money. If you need ball joints , replace the ball joints. If your intake gaskets start leaking ( prob not likely imo , Ive owned a dozen 4.3's and never had one blow) change them then. Save your money and put it in a rainy day fund , IN CASE you have a problem in the future. Keep regular scheduled maintenance done on your Blazer and you will be fine.

Old 01-29-2010, 05:41 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

I'm with you on the being paranoid. I am waiting for the day my Blazer does the white tiger routing leaving me hideously scarred and stranded on the side of the road. It has done it before. It will do it again....

That being said, I agree with the masses hear. Tearing up your engine for a 'maybe' issue is not worth the trouble (cost or potential problems). Look at how many "i put a new X on a now she wont start!!" threads there are. If this cat checks out, then maybe he does the job a hundred times for you with zero issues, but why set yourself up for somehting you dont need.

I'm of the opinion that you should knock out the ball joints, and any other necessary maintenance, but dont go to the hive to stir up the bees because one might sting you someday.

BONUS: if this dude works out, you will already have his # if your engine tanks down the road...

ALSO: make sure you get your old crap back so you can a) cash in on core charges and b) make sure the new fuel pump you bought isn't being restocked at napa