General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Crank no start

Old 04-09-2019, 01:12 AM
Starting Member
Ironman206teen is on a distinguished road
Default Crank no start

I have a 96 blazer i got at auction. I got it home after buying it after it was towd. I put a battery on it and it would crank but wouldn't start. I can hear the fuel pump come on bit still wont start. I looked up under the back end to see the fuel pump and noticed it was laking out of one of the gas lines. I noticed it was missing a platic clip that goes inside the quick connect. And also saw a old o orange o ring that fell out. So i put a new platic clip and and it still leaks. I plan on putting in a new oring, but would this keep it from starting? I had a guy come.put a computer on it and all he said the computer said was it was eltrical. I did order a new fuel pump. Anyways do yall think the fuel pump.is bad? I dont know much about cars but hope this fixes it. I a. Thinking of putting a new gas line that connects to the fuel pump also.. any advise would be great.

Old 04-09-2019, 04:49 AM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

Welcome to the forum!

These trucks are notorious for fuel issues. Before you buy anymore parts for it, rent a fuel pressure tester, and see what it reads. There's some really good write ups here about how to do it.

As far as the guy putting the computer on it. I don't know what "it's electrical" means. You need to know what the codes are. I would highly recommend buying an obd2 scanner if you plan to keep this truck, and work on it yourself. They can be had for super cheap

Old 04-09-2019, 08:37 AM
motorbreth77 is on a distinguished road

+1 on the Fuel pressure.
I think 56 psi is minimum. but around 60 is better.

I had issues with this before.
Had to replace fuel pump/filter.

Research 'fuel pressure bleed down test' as well. (Easy to do)

Go grab a Fuel Pressure Gauge if you haven't already.

Old 04-09-2019, 11:09 AM
Starting Member
Trukntigger is on a distinguished road

First get yourself the ODBII port scanner- Amazon sells the BAFX one (highly recommended) for smart phones cheap- under 25$ for Android bluetooth and under 30$ for WiFi IPhones then a decent app for 10$ apx and that gets you a lot of the diagnostic stuff you will need to test and maintain this truck and a lot of other autos too. Welcome to the forums by the way.

If your replacing that fuel pump (probably wise) do it right so change fuel filter too and look over the condition of the lines. Dropping the tank is not easy but manageable if you use common sense. Plenty of threads on doing that work and you really want to be ready before you start ie: proper tools and parts on hand and helpful tips on certain steps of the process.

Seeing you got this thru an auction I would then access the over all condition before just driving it. Break loose the front wheel lug nuts and then lift it and setup your jack stands. Grab ahold of the tires and try to move em around some, look for play in steering and ball joints. Pull tire off and look over the brakes. You get the picture, make sure its safe before you start road testing it. You have no clue what the real condition is till you look it over seeing purchased as a “unknown” so assume the worst and hope for the best.

Enjoy the truck, they are a fun ride and quite flexible in what it can do. Be safe.

Old 04-12-2019, 10:21 AM
go chevy is on a distinguished road

Besides what others have already mentioned, I would also give it a complete tuneup, plugs, wires, cap and rotor and fuel filter... Welcome to the Blazer Forum