General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

dam oil filter will not come off

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 05:08 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by kylem40
.............One thing i noticed is the kind of filter you use makes alot of difference as to if they get stuck. If you put them on to tight they will be hard to get off but even on my blazer i just changed it yesterday and to do it by hand it was way to tight...........................On the other hand though if your using a cheap filter thats another reason y its getting stuck. You may not want to spend the money on a little better filter but dont complain that you cant get it off if its stuck. I use premium guard filters that we have at work n mine has always kum off along with everyother blazer we put them on. So to summerize it up..... use a good filter, lube the gasket and tighten it by hand.

while doing oil changes is your job, and i'm sure you do quite a few in a day, i think the major problem is most people just put their filter on way too tight. as for "using a cheap filter thats another reason y its getting stuck.", what do you consider "cheap"? i've used Penzoil, Quakerstate, Purolator, WIX filters in the past, and currently only use Fram filter, and while they're a little snug when i remove them, they still come off, and i've never had one destroy itself while i'm trying to remove it.

considering i change the oil on 7 family vehicles (4 of which are my own, and 3 get their oil changed every month), i figure i must be doing something right.