General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

DexCool: Replace How Often?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 09:43 PM
RockyMountainHermit is on a distinguished road
Default DexCool: Replace How Often?

There seems to be a lot of disagreement about how often to flush/replace DexCool.

Although, considering that my '96 Blazer S10 heater core rotted out last year (at only 80,000 miles) after replacing the DexCool four times, I'm wondering if it's even worth the trouble anyway.

I'd never buy a GM vehicle again.

Old 06-18-2011, 12:06 AM
tibby has a spectacular aura abouttibby has a spectacular aura about
Cool

Originally Posted by RockyMountainHermit
There seems to be a lot of disagreement about how often to flush/replace DexCool.

Although, considering that my '96 Blazer S10 heater core rotted out last year (at only 80,000 miles) after replacing the DexCool four times, I'm wondering if it's even worth the trouble anyway.

I'd never buy a GM vehicle again.
To be honest with you, I ditched DexCool because it was complete garbage. I started using Prestone(the green stuff) instead now and everything is completely fine, no problems. I also have a 96 blazer. So I would give that a try. I would flush the DexCool out and replace it with a Prestone or something similar. Just my .02 though.

Old 06-18-2011, 09:26 AM

Tibby,

Thanks. I think I'll do that as well.

How long have you been running it with Prestone?

Was also reading online that DexCool has been implicated in intake-manifold gasket erosion.

I'm switching to Prestone.

Old 06-18-2011, 09:39 AM
Little Roober is on a distinguished road

Read this: https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-ge...dex-cool-3318/

And pay good attention to Swartlkk's posts. I changed over to green after a flush only because it was cheaper. If you do a flush, it doesn't really matter what you put in it. Just maintain your truck and it'll be fine.

Old 06-18-2011, 11:11 AM
tibby has a spectacular aura abouttibby has a spectacular aura about
Cool .

Originally Posted by RockyMountainHermit
Tibby,

Thanks. I think I'll do that as well.

How long have you been running it with Prestone?

Was also reading online that DexCool has been implicated in intake-manifold gasket erosion.

I'm switching to Prestone.
A few years now. It seems to be more readily available then DexCool anyway.

Old 06-18-2011, 01:26 PM

DexCool and the green stuff are both made by Prestone, though, so I don't know why one would be better than the other.

All I know is that the DexCool doesn't seem to inhibit rust. Don't get it.

I'll have to look into it more.

Old 06-18-2011, 01:37 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Another 'DexCool is garbage' thread. I'm locking this thread since we don't need more ill-informed rumors spreading. If you change the DC every 3-4 years, maintain the correct level, keep a Stant cap with a good seal on the radiator you'll be fine. Almost all 'long life' coolants are of the same formula category as DC and, no DC has nothing to do with the intake manifold gasket failing. It is the fault of the composition design GM used (and still uses as a replacement) on these engines. Replace it with the metal reinforced one from Fel-Pro and the problem is solved.